Conservation of energy in quantum physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the uncertainty of an electron's position and potential energy in a hydrogen atom, as well as the increase in angular momentum and mass if the electron is observed at a different location. The speaker acknowledges potential flaws in their theory and is corrected on the difference between a thought experiment and a well-developed theory in quantum physics. The conversation ends with a reminder to continue being curious.
IAmJustCurious
I am still in secondary school so I probably shouldn't think about things this complicated (at least that's what it seems to me, complicated), but please correct me if I'm wrong. If I recall correctly, the position of an electron is never certain, and always based on probability, unless observed. Now let's do a though experiment in an isolated system:

"The electron of a simple Hydrogen atom is located at 0.1 nm from its single proton when observed, but due to my understanding of how physics works. When - after this observation the electron stays unobserved for a tiny moment of time, and - after that it's been observed at 0.5 nm, it should gain potential enegry fivefold. Also, it's angular momentum should increase, as well as the mass of the entire atom due to E=mc²"

I know I'm probably wrong, and it has something to do with the velocity of the electron changing or something like that, but I was wondering what the actual answer would be, and it's fun to think about.

Physics news on Phys.org
IAmJustCurious said:
it should gain potential enegry fivefold.
Beside position, the potential energy also has some uncertainty. Thus, saying "it should" will go against the theory.

IAmJustCurious said:
it's angular momentum should increase
Yet another quantity having nonzero uncertainty is the angular momentum.

IAmJustCurious said:
as well as the mass of the entire atom due to E=mc²"
In non-relativistic QM, mass of particles are constant, i.e. it cannot have any other value than what it is already given.

Likes bhobba
blue_leaf77 said:
Beside position, the potential energy also has some uncertainty. Thus, saying "it should" will go against the theory.Yet another quantity having nonzero uncertainty is the angular momentum.In non-relativistic QM, mass of particles are constant, i.e. it cannot have any other value than what it is already given.
Thanks for pointing out the holes in my theory.

IAmJustCurious said:
Thanks for pointing out the holes in my theory.
Just want to let you know, thought experiment is different from a theory. Speaking of the theory of quantum physics, it has been well developed in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory, and these are already mature theories by now.

Likes bhobba
blue_leaf77 said:
Just want to let you know, thought experiment is different from a theory. Speaking of the theory of quantum physics, it has been well developed in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory, and these are already mature theories by now.
Sorry I should have said something like hypothesis. You're right

Hello curious :welcome:

Keep up the curiosity !

Likes entropy1, bhobba and IAmJustCurious

Related to Conservation of energy in quantum physics

1. What is the law of conservation of energy in quantum physics?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total energy of a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How does the principle of superposition relate to conservation of energy in quantum physics?

The principle of superposition states that a quantum system can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This includes states of different energy levels. However, the total energy of the system remains constant, and any energy changes in one state are balanced by changes in another state.

3. Can energy be transferred between quantum particles?

Yes, energy can be transferred between quantum particles through various processes such as absorption, emission, and scattering. However, the total energy of the system remains constant, as per the law of conservation of energy.

4. How does the uncertainty principle impact the conservation of energy in quantum physics?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. This means that the energy of a particle cannot be known with absolute certainty. However, the uncertainty in energy measurements still follows the law of conservation of energy.

5. Can the conservation of energy be violated in quantum physics?

No, the law of conservation of energy is one of the fundamental principles of physics and has been extensively tested and proven to be true. While there may be temporary fluctuations in energy levels, the total energy of a closed system always remains constant. Any apparent violations of this law can be explained by other factors, such as energy transfer between particles or measurement uncertainties.