Constructing a Division Ring of Quaternions over K: Conditions and Solutions

In summary, the condition that a field K must meet in order to construct a ring of division of quaternions over K is that there exists a non-zero element in K that satisfies ij=-ji.
Ragna
I don´t know how to solve it. Thanks beforehand

What condition has to fulfill a field [tex]K[/tex] so that we pruned to construct a ring of division of quaternions over [tex]K[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
probably -1 should not be a square in K.

The quartions are a degree 2 (non abelian) extension over the complex numbers:

H=C[j] with the rule ij=-ji

So, whether -1 is or is not a square is not important.

I can't say I understand the question at all. The only thing you need, surely, is for k to be a subfield of the quaternions. Is the extension supposed to be finite? What does pruned mean?

well they are also a 4 dimensional extension of the reals generated by 1 and 3 square roots of -1, so i thought maybe he was trying to describe which property of the reals was needed?

so if we just follow hamilton, we start from a field F and introduce 3 new elements i,j,k such that i^2 = j^2 = k^2 = -1, and set ij=k, jk=i. ki =j. ji=-k, kj=-i, ik=-j.

then extend this linearly as a definition of multiplication on the vector space F^4 with vector basis 1,i,j,k. the question becomes i guess whether this is division ring or not? so i would look at the formula for the inverse of an element and see if it makes sense, or needs some assumptions on F?

e.g. when defining the inverse of a complex number you need to divide by the sum of the squares of the coefficients, i.e. the ionverse of a+bi has denominator a^2 + b^2. so with a quaternion you seem to need that if 4 elements of your field are not all zero, then the sum of their squares is not zero. this requires e.g. that the field not admit a square root of -1.

Last edited:

Related to Constructing a Division Ring of Quaternions over K: Conditions and Solutions

What is "Ring theory"?

Ring theory is a branch of abstract algebra that studies mathematical structures called rings. A ring is a set with two binary operations, addition and multiplication, that satisfy certain properties. Rings are used to model and study a wide range of mathematical objects, including numbers, polynomials, and matrices.

What are the main properties of a ring?

A ring must have at least two operations, addition and multiplication, that are closed (the result of the operation is always in the set), associative, and distributive over each other. It must also have an additive identity (0) and be closed under subtraction. Additionally, a ring may have a multiplicative identity (1) and be closed under division if it is a division ring.

What is the difference between a ring and a field?

A field is a type of ring that also has a multiplicative inverse for every nonzero element. In other words, every element in a field has a unique multiplicative inverse that, when multiplied together, equals the multiplicative identity (1). This means that division is always possible in a field, while it may not be possible in a general ring.

What are some common examples of rings?

Some common examples of rings include the set of integers (with addition and multiplication), the set of real numbers (with addition and multiplication), and the set of polynomials with real coefficients (with addition and multiplication). Other examples include matrices, functions, and residue classes.

What is the importance of rings in mathematics?

Rings are important mathematical structures because they provide a framework for understanding and analyzing a wide range of mathematical objects. They also have applications in various areas of mathematics, including number theory, geometry, and algebraic topology. Furthermore, ring theory has connections to other branches of mathematics, such as group theory and field theory.