Constructing a Mouse Trap Car for Distance Challenge

In summary, when choosing materials for a mouse trap car, consider factors such as weight, durability, and availability. The best design for maximum distance involves minimizing friction and maximizing energy transfer, achieved through lightweight materials, a simple design, and a long drive axle and short lever arm. The mousetrap should be securely attached to the car and aligned with the drive axle. To improve performance, experiment with design and materials. Pre-built mousetraps can be used, but may not have the same potential energy as a self-constructed one.
axellviii
Mouse trap car!

i need to make a mouse trap car that goes 7 meters forward and then goes 7 meters back.

Physics news on Phys.org

Details, specs, etc. What are you allowed to use? What are your limits? What have you attempted? What's you're starting point? etc.

At the bare minimum:
PIC microcontroller/Aurdino + motors + wheels + mousetrap

Related to Constructing a Mouse Trap Car for Distance Challenge

1. How do I choose the right materials for my mouse trap car?

The materials you choose for your mouse trap car will depend on various factors such as weight, durability, and availability. It is important to choose materials that are lightweight but sturdy enough to withstand the force of the mousetrap. Some common materials used for mouse trap cars include balsa wood, plastic or metal wheels, and fishing line or string for the drive axle. Consider experimenting with different materials to find the best combination for your car.

2. What is the best design for a mouse trap car to achieve maximum distance?

The best design for a mouse trap car to achieve maximum distance is one that minimizes friction and maximizes the transfer of energy from the mousetrap to the wheels. This can be achieved by using lightweight materials, reducing the number of wheels, and keeping the design simple. It is also important to have a long drive axle and a short lever arm on the mousetrap to increase the distance the car can travel.

3. How do I attach the mousetrap to my car?

The mousetrap should be securely attached to the body of the car using hot glue or strong tape. It is important to make sure the mousetrap is aligned with the drive axle and the lever arm is able to move freely without any obstructions. You may also want to reinforce the attachment of the mousetrap with additional materials such as popsicle sticks or cardboard for added stability.

4. How can I improve the performance of my mouse trap car?

To improve the performance of your mouse trap car, you can make small adjustments to the design and materials used. For example, you can try reducing the weight of the car by using lighter materials, or increase the size of the drive wheels for a better grip on the surface. You can also experiment with different placement of the mousetrap and the lever arm to find the optimal position for maximum distance.

5. Can I use a pre-built mousetrap for my car?

Yes, you can use a pre-built mousetrap for your car as long as it meets the competition guidelines. However, keep in mind that pre-built mousetraps may not have the same amount of potential energy as one you construct yourself. It is also important to make sure the mousetrap is securely attached to the car and aligned with the drive axle for optimal performance.