Continuum Mechanics: Finding Plastic Strain

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the axial and wall plastic strains using the given equations and values. The value for \bar{\sigma} may be intended to be taken as Von Mises and should be divided by \sqrt{3}. The table of strains and stresses may have typos and the higher strain rates are expected to correspond with stronger material behavior.
lanew

Homework Statement

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/7060/selection001l.png

Homework Equations

[itex]\epsilon^{pl} = \epsilon - \epsilon^{el}[/itex]

[itex]\epsilon^{pl} = \epsilon - \frac{\bar{\sigma}}{E}[/itex]

[itex]r = \frac{\epsilon_w}{\epsilon_t}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck trying to calculate [itex]\bar{\sigma}[/itex]. Can I just assume that [itex]\bar{\sigma} = \sigma[/itex] @ 104 s-1? If so, the axial plastic strain is calculated as follows:

[itex]\begin{align}
\epsilon_a^{pl} &= \epsilon_a - \frac{\bar{\sigma}}{E} \\
&= (0.10) - \frac{(66.1)}{(200*10^3)} \\
&= 0.09967
\end{align}[/itex]

and

[itex]\begin{align}
\epsilon_w^{pl} &= \epsilon_w - \frac{\bar{\sigma}}{E} \\
&= (-0.042) - \frac{(66.1)}{(200*10^3)} \\
&= -0.04233
\end{align}[/itex]

If this is correct I should be able to related the thickness by [itex]v[/itex], correct?

Also, as far as (b) goes, should I be using [itex]\sigma = k \epsilon^n \dot{\epsilon}^m[/itex]?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\bar{\sigma}[/itex] might be intended to be taken as Von Mises (Von Mises is the only context where I've personally seen [itex]\bar{\sigma}[/itex]). So, for this uniaxial stress, you should (if I'm not mistaken) divide the value that you are using for [itex]\bar{\sigma}[/itex] by [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex].

I'm not too familiar with this stuff, but I'm assuming that your table of strains and stresses are all beyond yield, and the higher strain rates are supposed to correlate with stronger material behavior (typos in the table?). Figured I'd take a look since you have no replies, but I'm no plasticity expert.

Related to Continuum Mechanics: Finding Plastic Strain

1. What is continuum mechanics?

Continuum mechanics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the analysis of continuous media such as solids, liquids, and gases. It studies the behavior of these materials under different loading conditions and aims to develop mathematical models to describe their mechanical properties.

2. What is plastic strain?

Plastic strain is a measure of the permanent deformation of a material under stress. It occurs when a material is subjected to a load that exceeds its elastic limit, causing it to undergo permanent deformation. This type of strain is irreversible and can lead to structural damage if it exceeds a certain threshold.

3. How is plastic strain measured?

Plastic strain can be measured using strain gauges or extensometers, which are devices that can detect changes in the length or shape of a material under stress. These measurements are then compared to the original dimensions of the material to determine the amount of plastic strain that has occurred.

4. What is the role of continuum mechanics in finding plastic strain?

Continuum mechanics provides the theoretical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of materials under stress. By using mathematical models and equations, continuum mechanics can help us analyze the deformation and failure of materials, including the plastic strain that occurs when a material undergoes permanent deformation.

5. How can the knowledge of plastic strain be applied in real-world situations?

The understanding of plastic strain is crucial in many engineering applications, such as in the design of structures and materials. By accurately predicting the amount and location of plastic strain, engineers can ensure that their designs can withstand the expected loading conditions and avoid structural failure. This knowledge can also be applied in the manufacturing process to ensure the quality and durability of products.