Converting intermittent linear motion into smooth rotary motion

• Thread starter Brooksbarnes
  • Start date
Brooksbarnes
Thanks to anyone who can assist. (I have a curious mind but a limited grasp of the physics here.) Ocean waves hitting the shore carry a lot of kinetic energy. Let's say I capture this energy with a number of hydraulic cylinders and want to harness this energy by connecting it to a generator. The problem is that breaking waves are intermittent (perhaps every 10 seconds) and I don't see that they could they could turn a generator/motor effectively. Is there a way that one or more flywheels could flatten out the power output to produce a steady supply of reciprocating motion to turn a generator? Again, my thanks and admiration to those much brighter than myself :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome, @Brooksbarnes ! :smile:

Any electrical generator will need certain steady rotational speed in order to be effective.
Therefore, you will need to find an intermediate way to connect the wave's action to the useful rotation.

That would be some sort of energy accumulator, which saves the relatively small amount and intermittent energy of each wave over certain period of time, in order to accumulate enough to be released into the generator until depleted (cyclic electrical generation).

Wave power generators work in many different ways:

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Many thanks for taking time out to answer me! I've seen some of these, but not all. I will read up on Accumulators. This is new to me and is possibly the key to my (first) problem. All the best,
BB

Likes berkeman
Lnewqban said:
Welcome, @Brooksbarnes ! :smile:

Any electrical generator will need certain steady rotational speed in order to be effective.
Therefore, you will need to find an intermediate way to connect the wave's action to the useful rotation.

That would be some sort of energy accumulator, which saves the relatively small amount and intermittent energy of each wave over certain period of time, in order to accumulate enough to be released into the generator until depleted (cyclic electrical generation).
Thanks very much for your fast reply, Lnewqban! I will start reading up on accumulators! This is my 2nd step of many more. Take care and best regards, Brooks

Likes berkeman and Lnewqban
You are welcome! :smile:

Please, see:
https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/energy-explained/what-is-renewable-energy-storage

A constant supply of fossil combustible can constantly move a generator that produces a constant supply of electrical energy.
In that case, mechanical energy is constantly transformed into another type.
That is the way power plants, vehicles and home generators have functioned during many years of abundant and convenient combustibles.

Likes Brooksbarnes
Lnewqban said:
You are welcome! :smile:

Please, see:
https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/energy-explained/what-is-renewable-energy-storage

A constant supply of fossil combustible can constantly move a generator that produces a constant supply of electrical energy.
In that case, mechanical energy is constantly transformed into another type.
That is the way power plants, vehicles and home generators have functioned during many years of abundant and convenient combustibles.
You are a scholar AND a gentleman! Thanks, BB

Likes Lnewqban