Converting Potato waste (peel) to bio-ethanol

• Thread starter EngOss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    potato
In summary, the conversation is about a mechanical engineering student looking for help with their graduation project, which involves creating a machine to convert potato waste into bio-ethanol. The student is not well-versed in chemistry and is looking for a detailed description of the chemical process involved in obtaining ethanol, preferably including information about cellulosic wastes. They are seeking advice on where to start their research and are not asking for others to do the work for them. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to do some initial research before asking for help.
EngOss
hello all,
I'm a mechanical engineering student
my graduation project is an automatic machine to make the following
"converting Potato waste (peel) to bio-ethanol"
i need a detailed research about the chemical process until getting ethanol
waiting for your help guys , I'm not good chemist so i need the full description.
it will be very helpful if it included any thing about cellulosic wastes.
-its not a homework question...i just want to build that machine but its very
related to chemistry that's why i need help

Chemistry news on Phys.org

So what exactly is your question? Are you just looking for people to do your research for you? There's a lot of websites out there that cover the process step by step. I think that would be the best place to start.

I'm not asking for anyone to do my research...
to make it easier
i want the headlines or steps in a few sentences to start reading
its pretty hard to search in general topic specially when its related
to a different science that you don't know , just show me the door
and i will do my part.

Generally with a question like this it is best to show some initial research first, this isn't a place for people to do your googling for you.

Click on that link, read, come back when you have specific questions.

Thank you for you effort... :)
taking your advice into my consideration

Related to Converting Potato waste (peel) to bio-ethanol

1. How is bio-ethanol produced from potato waste (peel)?

Bio-ethanol is produced through a process called fermentation. In this process, enzymes are added to the potato peel waste to break down the starch into simple sugars. Yeast is then added to the mixture to convert the sugars into ethanol and carbon dioxide. The ethanol is then separated and purified for use.

2. What are the benefits of converting potato waste to bio-ethanol?

Converting potato waste to bio-ethanol has several benefits. It reduces the amount of waste going into landfills, reduces greenhouse gas emissions, and provides a sustainable source of fuel. It also creates job opportunities and supports the circular economy by using a waste product for a valuable purpose.

3. Can bio-ethanol from potato waste be used as a fuel for vehicles?

Yes, bio-ethanol produced from potato waste can be used as a fuel for vehicles. It can be blended with gasoline in different proportions, depending on the type of vehicle and its engine. However, modifications may be needed for some vehicles to run on higher concentrations of ethanol.

4. Is converting potato waste to bio-ethanol a cost-effective process?

The cost-effectiveness of converting potato waste to bio-ethanol depends on various factors, such as the availability and cost of the waste, the technology used, and the market demand for bio-ethanol. However, with advancements in technology and increasing demand for sustainable fuel sources, it is becoming a more economically viable option.

5. Are there any potential challenges or limitations to converting potato waste to bio-ethanol?

One potential challenge is the availability and consistency of potato waste as a feedstock. The process also requires specific conditions and careful monitoring to ensure the fermentation is successful. Moreover, there may be competition for the waste material from other industries, such as animal feed production. Additionally, the transportation of the waste to the bio-ethanol production facility may add to the overall cost.