Could anyone help me to recognize the Atlas results?

• Thread starter kalok87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atlas
In summary: They are good for visualizing particle collisions, but the particles involved in the collision are too small to be detected.In summary, Jedishrfu is trying to figure out how to draw a Feynman diagram for data she found on the internet, but hasn't been able to learn about it yet. If she could receive some help understanding it, that would be much appreciated.
kalok87
Hallo, Dear particle physicist,

Despite I am major in biophysics, the particle physics looks attractive to me... So I just used Atlantis to check some experiments result from internet... Although I can find some resultant particles. I still cannot understand how to draw a Feynman diagram for them, because I have not learned the mechanism about it.

If it is possible, could you please give me some hints to do it? (In the attachment you can find those visualized data.)

For example, in the first picture (No.2 in the Data): I found there are electrons and muons and hadrons (do not know whether neutron or proton, they are in the same path as muons.), what is the Feynman diagram to describe this process?

Thx.

Attachments

• trial.zip
    372.6 KB · Views: 251
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Jedishrfu

If I want to start to draw a diagram in this case (for Atlas, LHC), what should I draw at left hand side? Should I draw [itex]P + P \rightarrow[/itex] ( because it is the collision of 2 protons) or
[itex]W \rightarrow[/itex] and [itex]Z \rightarrow[/itex] ?

It is not possible to write the whole interaction with a Feynman graph.
Protons are not elementary particles (they consist of quarks and gluons). In a typical "interesting" collision, one particle ("parton") with significant energy from one proton collides with a parton from the other proton, releasing a lot of energy. The interesting particles (like W and Z bosons, top-quarks, Higgs and whatever) are produced in that interaction, and that can be written with a Feynman graph (example).
Apart from that hard interaction, you always have the rests of the protons hanging around - they can lead to many new gluons and quarks and those produce additional particles quickly afterwards.

Event displays like your images are not a practical method to study particle decays.

Related to Could anyone help me to recognize the Atlas results?

1. What is the Atlas results and why is it important?

The Atlas results refer to the data and findings obtained from the Atlas experiment, which is a particle physics experiment conducted at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland. This experiment is crucial in understanding the fundamental building blocks of the universe and the forces that govern them.

2. How can I access the Atlas results?

The Atlas results are publicly available on the experiment's official website, as well as through various scientific databases and journals. You can also contact the Atlas collaboration team for more information.

3. What type of data is included in the Atlas results?

The Atlas results include various types of data, such as particle collision events, energy and momentum measurements, and decay pathways. This data is then analyzed and interpreted by scientists to understand the behavior of particles and their interactions.

4. Can anyone understand the Atlas results, or do I need specialized knowledge?

The Atlas results are highly technical and complex, and require a background in particle physics and scientific research to fully understand. However, there are simplified explanations and visual representations of the data available for a general audience to grasp the main concepts.

5. How do the Atlas results contribute to scientific knowledge?

The Atlas results provide valuable information and insights into the fundamental laws of nature and the behavior of particles. This data is used to test and refine existing theories, as well as to form new hypotheses and advance our understanding of the universe.