Could light be a media for transport?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential of using light as a medium for transport, particularly for transmitting information and energy. While light can be viewed as both a wave and a particle, it is not easily classified and its properties can vary depending on how it is measured. Fiber optics currently utilize the wave-like properties of light to transmit data.
DecliningTech
Could light be a media for transport?

I realize that light is a wave, but isn't also a particle?

I mean if air can be used as a media, then why can't light, they are both particles.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Don't really understand what you are talking about.
Do you mean medium? And in either case, what do you mean by media/medium for transport?
Light can be viewed as both a light and wave, correct.
Air is an assembly of lots of different particles... but i don't see what you're getting at.

Using light as a medium for information and such, why can't it be used for that purpose?

You mean like, transmitting information, video, music, and communications via light? Or getting energy from it?

Fiber optics use light to transmit data, but I think you are confusing the medium with the wave that travels on it. Ie, sound is a wave, air is the medium. Transmittind data through air uses sound. Light is a little tougher, though, since it doesn't really travel over a medium and isn't easily classified as a particle or wave - it is something entirelydifferent, but it behaves sort of like a wave or particle depending on how it is measured.

Fiber optics utilize the wave-like properties of light to transmit data.

What i was sarcastically getting at, is that radio everything is using light for just that purpose. So is fiber optics, as russ said.

Related to Could light be a media for transport?

1. Could light be used as a medium for transport?

It is possible to use light as a medium for transport, but it is not currently a practical option for everyday transportation. However, there are ongoing research and development efforts to explore the potential of light-based transportation systems.

2. How does light-based transportation work?

Light-based transportation works by using light waves to propel objects through a medium, such as air or water. This can be achieved through various techniques such as laser propulsion or photonic sails.

3. What are the advantages of using light for transport?

Using light for transport has the potential to be faster, more efficient, and more environmentally friendly than traditional transportation methods. It also has the potential to be used for long-distance travel and space exploration.

4. What are the challenges of using light for transport?

One of the main challenges of light-based transportation is the need for a suitable medium, such as air or water, to propel the object. There are also technological challenges in terms of creating and controlling the necessary light waves for propulsion.

5. Are there any current applications of light-based transportation?

While light-based transportation is still in the early stages of development, there are some current applications being explored, such as using lasers to propel small satellites in space. However, there are no widespread practical applications for light-based transportation at this time.