Could this question be calculated without knowing the change in length?

In summary: I'm sorry, but I do not understand. Could you please provide a summary of the conversation?In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the measurement of energy of projectiles using a test facility consisting of a horizontal insulated tube and a frictionless piston. The tube contains air at a specific temperature and pressure, and during a test, a bullet is fired into the piston and compresses the air. The problem involves calculating the temperature of the air after compression using formulas related to kinetic energy, work, and internal energy. Different methods are suggested, but the correct one is not yet determined.
+polarity-
In order to measure the energy of projectiles, a test facility consisting of a horizontal insulated tube, closed at one end and with a frictionless piston of mass 1.5 kg at the other is used. The tube has a cross sectional area of 0.05 m2 and contains 1.15 kg of air at 20 °C and 100 kPa. During a test the piston is struck by a bullet of mass 0.15 kg traveling at 800 m/s, which remains embedded in the piston. It rapidly moves and compresses the air bringing the piston and bullet to rest.
For air R = 0.287 kJ kg–1 K–1 ; Cp = 1.005 kJ kg–1 K–1 .

Assuming the bullet is embedded in the piston, and momentum is conserved, and reversible adiabatic compression of the air in the tube, calculate the temperature of air at the end of compression when the piston has stopped.

P1 = 100 kPa; T1 = 293K and so using PV=mRT, I calculated V1 to be 0.967 (3dp) and so the length of the chamber would be the V/A => 19.34m and if I was given the length it was compressed to (or if someone could kindly point out how to calculate it) I could work out T2 using T2 = T1 (V1/V2)^k-1 as it's adiabatic.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution to this problem is not a plug into one formula and find the answer. It involves kinematics and thermodynamics and tests how well you understand the concepts.

Problem states that momentum is conserved, so that is your first clue for a calculation.
What next might be important, well maybe the kinetic energy of the piston imbedded with the bullet at impact.
Then the problem states that the piston stops, so you would have kinetic energy go from some initial value at impact to zero.
Well, now there must be some force acting on the piston to slow it down, and we all know that F=ma and W=Fd, so that looks a little promising, but ...

Aha - all the kinetic energy must go into compressing the gas, and since it is an s adiabatic process then the work on the gas can be calculated from a formula,

And since PV^gamma=C, the temperature can be found also.

( Hope my post is not too lame or missing a step, as I haven't had my morning coffee yet )

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2708/workingzl.jpg

Unfortunately that isn't correct but that is most likely just me doing it wrong. Thanks so much for the help 256bits, you explained it perfectly and is much more logical in comparison to my attempt :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your calculations look finebut I guess it is the incorrect method.

Try
Cv = R - Cp

For adiabatic
dU +dW = Q = 0 ==> dU = dW

[itex]\Delta[/itex]U = -P[itex]\Delta[/itex]V

[itex]\Delta[/itex]U = m Cp [itex]\Delta[/itex]T

And the change in internal energy would equal the change in kinetic enrgy

solve for [itex]\Delta[/itex]T

256bits said:
Your calculations look finebut I guess it is the incorrect method.

Try
Cv = R - Cp

I would't try that one!
I'll try to get involved here later if the right answer is still not forthcoming.

Related to Could this question be calculated without knowing the change in length?

1. How can we calculate the change in length without knowing the initial or final length?

Without knowing the initial or final length, we cannot calculate the change in length. The initial and final lengths are necessary for determining the difference between the two values.

2. Is there a formula or equation that can help us calculate the change in length without knowing one of the lengths?

No, there is no formula or equation that can calculate the change in length without at least one of the lengths. The formula for calculating change in length is ΔL = Lf - Li, where ΔL is the change in length, Lf is the final length, and Li is the initial length.

3. Can we estimate the change in length without knowing the exact values?

We can make an estimation of the change in length if we have some information about the initial and final lengths. However, the estimation may not be accurate without knowing the exact values.

4. Is it possible to use other measurements or data to calculate the change in length?

No, the change in length can only be calculated using the initial and final lengths. Other measurements or data may not accurately represent the change in length.

5. How important is it to know the change in length in scientific research?

Knowing the change in length is crucial in scientific research as it can provide valuable information about the behavior and properties of a material. It is a fundamental measurement in various fields such as physics, engineering, and materials science.