Coupled oscillators analog to EIT - do I miss something?

In summary, the article discusses a classical analog to electromagnetic transparency. Two masses are attached to walls and are driven by an harmonic force. The equation for the displacements of the masses from their equilibrium is trivial to solve, but the equations for the force and damping constants are not correct.
naftali
Hi,

I have posted this question to "classical physics" forum, but now I think this forum might be more appropriate. I have no idea how to move the thread here, so here is a copy..

The question seems trivial, but I want to check if I miss something.

Homework Statement

I'm trying to analyze this article : Classical Analog of Electromagnetically Induced Transparency (http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0107061.pdf) which gives a classical analog to EIT by two coupled oscillators, both damped and one is driven too.
The system looks like : ///------[m1]----[m2]----///
where m1=m2=m are the masses and the -- represent the springs. The strings which attach the masses to the walls have both spring constant k, and the spring which connects both masses has constant K. Mass m1 is driven by an harmonic force : [itex]Fe^{-i\omega_{s}t}[/itex] .

Homework Equations

The equations given in the article are :
(1) [itex]\ddot{x_{1}}+\gamma_{1}\dot{x_{1}}+\omega^{2}x_{1}-{\Omega_{r}}^{2}x_{2}=\frac{F}{m}e^{-i\omega_{s}t}[/itex]
(2) [itex]\ddot{x_{2}}+\gamma_{2}\dot{x_{2}}+\omega^{2}x_{2}-{\Omega_{r}}^{2}x_{1}=0[/itex]
Where : [itex]x_{1}[/itex] and [itex]x_{2}[/itex] are the displacements of the masses from their equilibrium. [itex]\gamma_{1}[/itex] and [itex]\gamma_{2}[/itex] are the damping constants. And [itex]\omega^{2}=\frac{k}{m}[/itex] and [itex]{\Omega_{r}}^{2}=\frac{K}{m}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution for [itex]x_{1,2}[/itex] is trivial by substituting [itex]x_{1,2}=A_{1,2}e^{-i\omega_{s}t}[/itex]. But I'm not sure that the equations are correct.
My question is : shouldn't there be [itex]{+\Omega_{r}}^{2}x_{1} [/itex] term in eqn. (1) and [itex]{+\Omega_{r}}^{2}x_{2} [/itex] term in eqn. 2? For example if the two masses moved the same distance apparently the spring connecting them should be in it equilibrium length and not influence them.
I though that's an error in the article, but I see the same in other articles (for example : http://cms.bsu.edu/sitecore/shell/-/media/WWW/DepartmentalContent/Physics/PDFs/Joe/06_1.pdf and http://arxiv.org/pdf/1006.5167v3.pdf), so what am I missing?

Thanks in advance,
Naftali

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the force is proportional to difference of the two coordinates. I think the paper has it right, but I think that instead of ##\omega## there should be ##\omega_1## (in the next section on the RLC circuit the equation is the same but they write ##\omega_1##). This is defined by

$$
\omega_1^2 = \frac{k_1 + K}{m},
$$

so there is term ##K/m ~x_1## which is the same as the term you suggest.

This seems reasonable..

Thanks!
Naftali

Related to Coupled oscillators analog to EIT - do I miss something?

1. What is the concept of coupled oscillators analog to EIT?

Coupled oscillators analog to EIT refers to a phenomenon in physics where two or more oscillating systems interact with each other, leading to a unique energy transfer between them. This concept is similar to the phenomenon of Electromagnetically Induced Transparency (EIT) in which light passing through a medium is affected by the presence of other light sources.

2. How are coupled oscillators analog to EIT used in research and technology?

Coupled oscillators analog to EIT have various applications in research and technology, particularly in the field of quantum optics. They can be used to study light-matter interactions, manipulate light waves, and develop new types of sensors and communication systems. They also have potential applications in quantum computing and quantum information processing.

3. What are some real-life examples of coupled oscillators analog to EIT?

One example of coupled oscillators analog to EIT is the synchronization of fireflies, where the flashing patterns of different fireflies synchronize due to their interactions with each other. Another example is the synchronization of pendulum clocks, where the pendulums of multiple clocks synchronize when placed on the same base. These examples demonstrate the energy transfer and synchronization that can occur between coupled oscillating systems.

4. How do coupled oscillators analog to EIT relate to other physical concepts?

Coupled oscillators analog to EIT have connections to other physical concepts such as resonance, interference, and superposition. Resonance occurs when two systems have the same natural frequency and can transfer energy back and forth. Interference occurs when waves overlap and create new patterns, similar to the interference patterns seen in EIT. Superposition refers to the combination of multiple waves to create a new wave, which is a fundamental concept in understanding coupled oscillators analog to EIT.

5. What are the current challenges and future prospects for research on coupled oscillators analog to EIT?

Some of the current challenges in research on coupled oscillators analog to EIT include understanding and controlling the complex interactions between multiple oscillating systems, as well as developing practical applications outside of the laboratory setting. However, with ongoing advancements in technology and theoretical understanding, the potential for further research and practical applications of coupled oscillators analog to EIT is vast and exciting.