Coupled System of ODE's with algebraic coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of 4 first order linear ODEs with 3 algebraic variables that also need to be solved for. The speaker has been using ode15s in MATLAB but is encountering issues due to the presence of the algebraic variables. They are seeking advice on how to set up and solve this system. Some specific information and/or code would be helpful, and the speaker may be able to use ode15i as an alternative solver.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I have a system of 4 first order linear ODE's, call each ODE ##\psi_1,...,\psi_4 : \psi = \psi(x,y,z,t)##. However, there are three algebraic variables (not ##x,y,z,t##, let's call them ##c_1,c_2,c_3##) that must be solved for as well, and I have three different (non-differential) equations to solve for them, call those ##\alpha_1, \,\, \alpha_2, \,\, \alpha_3 : \alpha_i = \alpha_i(c_1,c_2,c_3)##. I need to solve this system.

I have been using ode15s in MATLAB, a stiff solver. Typically this method works but since there are algebraic variables whose governing equations are not differential, the ode15s function is not working. Any ideas how to set this up?

Thanks so much!

Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a few things I do not understand:
  • You say you have 4 ODEs. I imagine that ##\dot{x}(t) = \psi(x(t), y(t), z(t), t)## and similarly for ##\dot{y}## and ##\dot{z}##, but what is the purpose of ##\psi_4## then? Could you write down these ODEs a bit more explicitly? Is there a mass matrix present (see the ode15s documentation)? Is the mass matrix singular?
  • Then you have functions ##\alpha_i## that specify a relationship between the ##c_i##. Very well. However, it is not clear to me what couples ##x,y,z## and ##c_1,c_2,c_3##. What does the system of ODE have to do with the algebraic system? As it stands, I would say that you can solve these systems separately, but I don't think this is what you meant.
It seems you have some sort of DAE (again, see the ode15s documentation), but it is not clear to me yet what it exactly looks like.

Related to Coupled System of ODE's with algebraic coefficients

1. What is a coupled system of ODE's with algebraic coefficients?

A coupled system of ODE's (ordinary differential equations) with algebraic coefficients is a set of equations that involves both derivatives and algebraic expressions. These equations are typically used to model dynamic systems in science and engineering, where the variables are interdependent and change over time.

2. How is a coupled system of ODE's with algebraic coefficients solved?

There are several methods for solving a coupled system of ODE's with algebraic coefficients, including numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods, as well as analytical methods such as separation of variables and substitution. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the system and the desired level of precision.

3. What are some real-world applications of coupled systems of ODE's with algebraic coefficients?

Coupled systems of ODE's with algebraic coefficients are used in a variety of fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They are commonly used to model phenomena such as population dynamics, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

4. Can a coupled system of ODE's with algebraic coefficients have multiple solutions?

Yes, a coupled system of ODE's with algebraic coefficients can have multiple solutions. This can occur when the system has multiple equilibrium points or when the initial conditions are such that the system can have more than one possible outcome.

5. Are there any limitations to using a coupled system of ODE's with algebraic coefficients?

One limitation of using a coupled system of ODE's with algebraic coefficients is that it can become computationally expensive and complicated for systems with a large number of variables. In these cases, simplifications and approximations may be necessary to make the system more manageable.