Creating a Monorail: Electric Fields and Magnetism

In summary, the main focus of your monorail project should be on creating a propulsion system using electromagnets. This can be achieved by using a series of electromagnets that attract and repel each other to create a "stepping" motion for the train. Switching the direction of current in the electromagnets will allow for this motion. Further information and guidance can be found in a recent thread on physicsforums.com.
The Green Giant
Hi,

lately, me and my friend wanted to build a monorail. suspended by magnets, and powered by electricity. we can't manage to create propulson. The Question?

What shape and how are electric fields formed?

P.S. Please don't call me a simpleton, I'm only fifteen.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm talking about electromegnets.

You have a challenge ahead of you for the 'suspended' part. Forget it for now.

For the propulsion, that's easier. Let's say you have a bar magnet or a bolt with some wire wrapped around it to make an electromagnet, doesn't matter. You have a north and south pole. The strength will be the best at the ends where each pole is located. Remember likes repel and opposites attract. Your goal should be to first have the permanent magent on the train become attracted to your electromagnet. Then you need to make a series of them and switch them from N to S to make the train 'step' forward from one to the next. You reverse N to S to N by switching the direction the current flows in the coil of your electromagnet.

Here's a recent thread about this:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15853

Cliff

Related to Creating a Monorail: Electric Fields and Magnetism

1. How does a monorail use electric fields and magnetism to operate?

A monorail uses electric fields and magnetism to create a magnetic force that propels the train forward. This is done through the use of a linear motor, which consists of a series of electromagnets placed along the track and a current-carrying conductor on the train. As the train moves along the track, the electromagnets are turned on and off, creating a repulsive force that pushes the train forward.

2. What is the role of electric fields in a monorail?

Electric fields are used to create a current in the conductor on the train. This current then interacts with the magnetic field created by the electromagnets, producing a force that propels the train forward. Electric fields are also used to power the electromagnets themselves.

3. How is the speed of a monorail controlled using electric fields and magnetism?

The speed of a monorail can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the electric current in the conductor and the strength of the magnetic field in the electromagnets. By increasing or decreasing these factors, the force acting on the train can be adjusted, thereby controlling its speed.

4. Can a monorail operate without electric fields and magnetism?

No, a monorail relies on the use of electric fields and magnetism to operate. Without these forces, the train would not be able to move along the track.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with the use of electric fields and magnetism in a monorail?

There are some safety concerns associated with the use of electric fields and magnetism in a monorail, such as potential interference with electronic devices and the risk of electric shocks. However, proper safety measures and regulations are put in place to ensure the safe operation of monorail systems.