Creating Big Integrals in LaTeX: Tips and Tricks

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Bachelier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, Latex provides a larger integral symbol than inline math mode and displaystyle mode. You can also embiggen delimiters with \left / \right, \bigl / \bigr (or just \big), etc.
Bachelier
I search google and different math sites but came with not answer for making an integral big.

How do I do it please?

##\int## is too small sometimes

Physics news on Phys.org
Bachelier said:
I search google and different math sites but came with not answer for making an integral big.

How do I do it please?

With Latex:

[tex]\int{x dx}[/tex]

berkeman said:
With Latex:

[tex]\int{x dx}[/tex]

[tex]\int{grazie \ mille \ \mathrm{d}t}[/tex]

Bachelier said:

How do I do it please?

You're using inline math mode there, which makes things small. Use displayed math mode instead and you'll get a larger integral symbol:

Code:
[tex]\int dx[/tex]
[tex]\int dx[/tex]

You can embiggen delimiters with \left / \right, \bigl / \bigr (or just \big), etc. There's a whole slew of macros that embiggen delimiters by various amounts. However, you can't embiggen the integral symbol for various technical reasons. If you want an even bigger integral symbol you'll need to use a package that supplies big integral symbols such as http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/bigints/.

Note: You can't use this capability with the limited subset of TeX/LaTeX that is available at this site. Only a fixed set of packages are available for your use in a post.

D H said:
You can embiggen delimiters …

surely "embiggen" means to increase the worth (or self-worth) of something/someone, not to actually make bigger?

eg the famous springfield motto "a noble spirit embiggens the smallest man" does not mean that the smallest man actually gets larger? :wink:

(same for "big up")

These are integrals:
(inline) [itex]\int dx[/itex] and (inline with \displaystyle) [itex]\displaystyle\int dx[/itex]
and (displaystyle)[tex]\int dx[/tex].
These are also integrals: with \Large and \LARGE and \Huge
[tex]\int dx \qquad {\Large \int} dx \qquad {\LARGE\int} dx \qquad {\Huge\int} dx[/tex]

From now on I am using this for all my integrals.

[tex]{\Huge\int} \mathrm{d}\xi[/tex]

Gotta put emphasis on it. :-p

Related to Creating Big Integrals in LaTeX: Tips and Tricks

1. What is Big Int in Latex?

Big Int in Latex refers to the concept of representing large integers (numbers without a decimal point) in a typesetting language called Latex. This is particularly useful for mathematical and scientific documents that require precise and professional formatting.

2. How do I use Big Int in Latex?

To use Big Int in Latex, you would first need to include the "amsmath" package in your document's preamble. Then, you can use the "\bigint" command followed by the integer you want to represent in curly braces. For example, "\bigint{123456789}" would display the number 123456789 in large font.

3. Can I customize the appearance of Big Int in Latex?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of Big Int in Latex by changing the font size, color, and style. You can also use the "\displaystyle" command to make the number appear even larger. Additionally, you can use the "\usepackage{bigints}" command to access more formatting options for Big Int in Latex.

4. Is Big Int in Latex limited to integers only?

No, Big Int in Latex can also be used to represent decimals, fractions, and even complex numbers. You can use the "amsmath" package and its various commands, such as "\frac" and "\Re" to format these numbers in Latex.

5. Are there any other alternatives to Big Int in Latex?

Yes, there are other alternatives to Big Int in Latex, such as the "bigintcalc" package and the "bigintcalc" command. These allow for more advanced calculations and formatting options for large numbers in Latex.