Cryptography Major: MIT, Number Theory, Probability, Algebra

In summary, the professor from MIT recommends courses in number theory, probability, abstract algebra, and linear algebra. The student from Professor Rivest recommends courses in quantum mechanics and computer science.
TsunamiJoe
I'm interested in doing cryptography as a major, and I've talked to a proffesor from MIT, and a student of Professor Rivest about courses to take, they included: number theory, probability, abstract algebra, and linear algebra.

I am wondering if anyone has anything to add. Also for cheap textbooks and colleges, other than MIT that have reknown cryptography courses.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good luck and you should work for the NSA once you are done with college :)

I'm actualy interested in joining the CIA, after high school I'm going to join the Army Rangers' engaged intel group, and hopefully get some cryptography experience there to boost my resume for getting into MIT.

Last edited:
Army Rangers' engaged intel group

what is that?

You could just go for a math major, and apply, aiming to get training on the job.

true, but in the military i can get a degree in math, far better, faster, and from better proffessors if i went beforehand.

also the army rangers engaged intel group - is similar to going undercover to find where, like for our current iraqi war, to find where terrorist locations are. Although usualy with the rangers its not too in depth past just finding basic camp sites, COG is the one that will usualy be floating around in a wig and beard actualy living that life, rangers will more so just make a simple contact usualy without a disguise or anything.

You know you could get a lot more out of this thread if you provided a little more background about yourself.

You'll need courses in computing as well - such as Analysis of Algorithms, Numerical Methods, Computability, Complexity, etc.

if i had much background in it, i would have stated such, but since i was asking for courses on the subject it shouldn't matter what's been stated.

so any advice is appreciated, along with textbook referances

http://www.cacr.math.uwaterloo.ca/hac/

Handbook of Applied Cryptography, by Menzies, van Oorschot, and Vanstone.

This is a quick and dirty overview, though a few years old. Especially relevant to you would be chapter 2, which gives a rundown of the math you'd need to know to read this book (just statements of results, no proofs).

yes i have actualy just recently started reading over that, since i haven't gotten into any calc or abstract algebra i wasnt aware of some of the differint math signs like XOR, and the like, thanks for the referance though

Quantum Mechanics

The field of quantum cryptogrophy is pretty interesting and is sure to play a big role in the military. If you google it you coule be reading about Alice and Bob sharing Qubits and that damn eve trying to listen in.

alsoright now I am reading a book called, "The book of Numbers" written by Conway and Guy which is about number theories, it says its geraed towards people without a lot of advanced math backgrounds. Does anyone have a comment on this book?

Related to Cryptography Major: MIT, Number Theory, Probability, Algebra

What is Cryptography Major?

Cryptography Major is a field of study that focuses on the techniques and methods used to secure information and communication. It involves the use of mathematical principles and algorithms to protect sensitive data from being accessed by unauthorized individuals.

Why is MIT known for its Cryptography Major program?

MIT, or the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, is known for its strong emphasis on mathematics and computer science, both of which are essential for understanding and implementing cryptography. The university also has a history of producing groundbreaking research and innovations in the field of cryptography.

What is the role of Number Theory in Cryptography?

Number Theory plays a crucial role in cryptography as it is the branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers. Many cryptographic algorithms, such as RSA, are based on the use of prime numbers and other concepts from Number Theory.

How is Probability used in Cryptography?

Probability is used in cryptography to analyze the likelihood of an attacker successfully breaking a cryptographic system. It is also used in the design and evaluation of cryptographic protocols to ensure their security against various types of attacks.

How is Algebra applied in Cryptography?

Algebra is used in cryptography to design and analyze cryptographic algorithms and protocols. It helps in the creation of mathematical models that can be used to understand the security of a cryptographic system and make improvements to its design.