Current through Point or Cross Sectional Area

In summary, there are conflicting statements about how current is measured. One states that it is measured as the amount of charge per time that enters through a cross-sectional area, while the other states that it is measured as the amount of charge per time that passes through a point. However, the equation I = Q/t is commonly used for measuring current. Additionally, in electronic circuits, the details of the cable's cross-section may not be important, so "points" can refer to cross-sections across the cable.
Prof. 27

Homework Statement

I'm finding conflicting statements. One says that current is measured as the amount of charge per time that enters through a cross sectional area. Another says that current is measured as the amount of charge per time that passed through a point. Could someone clarify this for me?

Homework Equations

I = Q/t

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics Classroom and Wikipedia.

Physics news on Phys.org
Charge does not pass through a point.
In electronic circuits, you often do not care about the details of your cable cross-section, so you can talk about "points" that are really cross-sections across the cable.

Likes Prof. 27
Thanks so much.

Related to Current through Point or Cross Sectional Area

What is "current through point or cross sectional area"?

Current through point or cross sectional area refers to the amount of electric current flowing through a specific point or cross section of a conductor. It is measured in amperes (A) and represents the rate of flow of electric charges.

How is current through point or cross sectional area calculated?

Current through point or cross sectional area can be calculated by dividing the total charge passing through a point or cross section by the time it takes for that charge to pass. This is represented by the equation I = Q/t, where I is the current, Q is the charge, and t is the time.

What factors affect the current through point or cross sectional area?

The current through point or cross sectional area is affected by the voltage applied to the conductor, the resistance of the conductor, and the length and cross sectional area of the conductor. A higher voltage or larger cross sectional area will result in a higher current, while a longer conductor or higher resistance will result in a lower current.

Why is the current through point or cross sectional area important?

The current through point or cross sectional area is important because it determines the amount of power being transmitted through a conductor. It is also a crucial factor in the design and functioning of electrical circuits and devices.

How is the current through point or cross sectional area measured?

The current through point or cross sectional area can be measured using a device called an ammeter, which is connected in series with the conductor. The ammeter measures the amount of current flowing through the conductor and displays it in amperes.