Curve fitting of summed normal distributions

In summary, the conversation discusses fitting a probability density function of a random variable by using a sum of normal distributions. The speaker is interested in a robust fitting method and references a website that offers a 30-day trial for their peak fitting software. They also mention the use of Expectation-Maximization and a specific equation that they are trying to maximize. The conversation ends with a mention of a paper that addresses this problem using EM and the subject of finding model parameters.
exmachina
Hi,

I have a dataset of a random variable whose probability density function can be fitted/modelled as a sum of N probability density functions of normal distributions:

[itex]
F_X(x) = p(\mu_1,\sigma_1^2)+p(\mu_2,\sigma_2^2)+\ldots+p({\mu}_x,\sigma_x^2)
[/itex]

I am interested in a fitting method can robustly determine the values of [itex]\mu_1,\sigma_1,\mu_2,\sigma_2,[/itex] etc

Note this is NOT convolution of normal distributions.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
These folks have put a lot of time and thought into your problem

http://www.sigmaplot.com/products/peakfit/peakfit.php

and they have free 30 day trial evaluations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, any idea what method they use? Expectation-Maximization?

Edit: I guess in particular, this is the equation I'm trying to maximize, given an input vector:[itex]
X = (x_1,x_2,...,x_n)
[/itex]

Maximize:

[tex]
\begin{equation}
\prod_{j=1}^n\sum_{i=1}^k \frac{p_i}{\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma_i} \exp(-\frac{(x_j-\mu_i)^2}{2\sigma_i^2})

Edit: I found a nice paper tackling this exact problem using EM.
\end{equation}
[/tex]

Subject to [tex] \sum_{i=1}^{k} p_i = 1 [/tex]

When I say maximize, I mean to find the model parameters [tex] \mu_i, \sigma_i, p_i [/tex]

Last edited:

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your dataset and question with me. I understand the importance of accurately fitting a probability density function to a dataset. In this case, it seems that your dataset can be best modeled as a sum of N normal distributions.

To accurately determine the values of \mu_1, \sigma_1, \mu_2, \sigma_2, and so on, I would recommend using a curve fitting method such as the least squares method or maximum likelihood estimation. These methods are commonly used in statistics and can provide robust estimates for the parameters of a probability density function.

It is important to note that this is not the same as convolution of normal distributions. Convolution is a mathematical operation that combines two probability density functions, while curve fitting aims to find the best-fitting function for a given dataset.

I hope this helps and good luck with your analysis.

Sincerely,

Related to Curve fitting of summed normal distributions

1. What is curve fitting of summed normal distributions?

Curve fitting of summed normal distributions is a statistical method used to estimate the parameters of a summed normal distribution curve that best fits a given dataset. This involves finding the mean, standard deviation, and weights of each normal distribution curve that, when summed together, produce a curve that closely matches the data points.

2. Why is curve fitting of summed normal distributions important?

Curve fitting of summed normal distributions is important because it allows for the accurate modeling and prediction of data that follows a normal distribution. This can be useful in many fields such as finance, engineering, and biology where data often follows a bell-shaped curve.

3. How is curve fitting of summed normal distributions performed?

The most common method for curve fitting of summed normal distributions is the method of least squares. This involves minimizing the sum of the squared differences between the data points and the corresponding points on the fitted curve. This can be done using various mathematical and statistical techniques, such as gradient descent and the Gauss-Newton algorithm.

4. What are the limitations of curve fitting of summed normal distributions?

Curve fitting of summed normal distributions assumes that the data follows a normal distribution, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it may be difficult to accurately estimate the parameters if the data is noisy or has outliers. It is also important to consider the assumptions and limitations of the specific curve fitting method being used.

5. How can the accuracy of curve fitting of summed normal distributions be evaluated?

The accuracy of curve fitting of summed normal distributions can be evaluated by comparing the fitted curve to the original data points. This can be done visually by plotting the two together or quantitatively by calculating the sum of squared errors or other metrics. Cross-validation techniques can also be used to assess the generalization ability of the fitted curve to new data.