D’Alambert vs Newton’s second law?

In summary, the conversation is about a student being stuck on differentiating between the conservation of energy and D'Alambert's theory for a question involving finding the average resistance of the ground after being struck by an object. The equation Ma + Mgh - Fr = 0 was chosen, but the question is unclear and lacking real-life information. The student is trying to solve the question using both D'Alambert's theory and the conservation of momentum, but is struggling with differentiating between the two. The question is about finding the average resistance of the ground when a mass is dropped from a certain height onto another mass, causing the combined mass to move into the ground. However, it is not specified what properties of the ground are
Jon1909
I’m a bit stuck with differentiating between the conservation of energy and D’Alambert. For a question I need to find the average resistance of the ground after it has been struck by an object. I chose to look at the equation as Ma + Mgh - Fr = 0.

Can you advise if this is correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You really have not stated a clear question. In your equation, what is M? what is h? What do you mean by resistance (resistance to penetration), resistance to returning to the previous local shape, etc. What are you really trying to accomplish here?

Ok so I’m currently a level 3 student. The question I’ve been looking at is very difficult to answer because it is very poor.

I’ve been asked to solve a question in 2 separate ways. Using D’Alambert’s theory and using the conversation of momentum.

I have got an answer I am happy with for the momentum but for D’Alambert, I am struggling to differentiate between that and the conversation of energy.

The question is at best specious, lacking real life information (that would make the question much more pertinent and answerable)

I am trying to find the average resistance of the ground when a mass is dropped from a certain height onto another mass, causing the combined mass to move a certain amount into the ground... does that help?

Ma being mass x acceleration and mgh being mass x gravity x height

Jon1909 said:
Ma + Mgh - Fr = 0.

I think I can say with confidence that your equation above is not correct, even though the problem is still not at all clear.
Jon1909 said:
I am trying to find the average resistance of the ground when a mass is dropped from a certain height onto another mass, causing the combined mass to move a certain amount into the ground... does that help?

What are you going to say about the properties of the ground? A surface of sand will probably behave differently from a granite surface. Are you concerned only with the depth of the indentation, or do you want to describe rebound, or what?

Related to D’Alambert vs Newton’s second law?

1. What is D’Alambert’s principle?

D’Alambert’s principle is a fundamental law in classical mechanics that states that the net force acting on a body is equal to the mass of the body multiplied by its acceleration, according to Newton’s second law.

2. How does D’Alambert’s principle differ from Newton’s second law?

D’Alambert’s principle takes into account the forces of inertia acting on a body, while Newton’s second law solely considers the external forces acting on a body.

3. Can D’Alambert’s principle be used to solve problems in dynamics?

Yes, D’Alambert’s principle can be used to solve problems in dynamics, particularly for systems with complex constraints such as pulley systems or systems with multiple rigid bodies.

4. Is D’Alambert’s principle a more general form of Newton’s second law?

Yes, D’Alambert’s principle is a more general form of Newton’s second law since it considers both external forces and internal forces of inertia.

5. What are some real-world applications of D’Alambert’s principle?

D’Alambert’s principle has many applications in engineering and physics, such as analyzing the motion of a pendulum, studying the dynamics of a moving vehicle, or designing a bridge with complex forces acting on it.