Damped harmonic oscillator Diff. Eq. question

In summary, any constant multiple of a solution to the damped harmonic oscillator equation m(d2t/dt2 +bdy/dt +ky=0 is also a solution. This can be shown by dividing the equation by the constant and then plugging in the constant multiple for y(t). This applies to any solution, not just the specific example given in the question. Using this fact, along with the guess-and-test method described in the section, can yield multiple solutions to the equation.
Dusty912

Homework Statement

consider any damped harmonic oscillator equation

m(d2t/dt2 +bdy/dt +ky=0

a. show that a constant multiple of any solution is another solution
b. illustrate this fact using the equation
(d2t/dt2 +3dy/dt +2y=0

c. how many solutions to the equation do you get uf you use this observatiob along with duess-and-test method described in this section?

Homework Equations

guess-and-test method. subbing est for y, and then solving for s value to obtain two solutions

The Attempt at a Solution

now I know for (a) I am supposed to sub in ky(t) into the damped harmonic oscillator. but I am stuck from there. I am not really sure what kind of answer this question is looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dusty912 said:
show that a constant multiple of any solution is another solution
H i Dusty:

If you assume y(t) is a solution, what do you think "a constant multiple of any solution is another solution" means?

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

well I believe it means that if y(t) is a solution then ky(t) is also a solution. Where k is an arbitrary constant.

Im just not sure what the question is seeking as far as written work

Hi Dusty:

I would avoid using k as the "constant" used in the "constant multiple", since k appears in the equation. For example try cy(t) instead.
How would you show that cy(t) satisfies the DE?

Regards,
Buzz

Well by plugging it in. Correct?

Hi Dusty:

What do you get when you plug it in?

Regards,
Buzz

cm d(y(t))/dt2 +bc d(y(t))/dt +kcy(t)=0

Hi Dusty:

Right. What do you get if you divide this equation by c? What does that tell you?

Regards,
Buzz

Related to Damped harmonic oscillator Diff. Eq. question

1. What is a damped harmonic oscillator?

A damped harmonic oscillator is a system that experiences a restoring force proportional to its displacement from equilibrium, as well as a damping force that is proportional to its velocity. This type of oscillator is commonly found in mechanical and electrical systems.

2. What is the equation for a damped harmonic oscillator?

The equation for a damped harmonic oscillator is given by ṁ''(t) + ḃ'(t) + k̇(t) = 0, where m is the mass of the oscillator, b is the damping constant, k is the spring constant, and ̇(t) is the displacement from equilibrium at time t.

3. How do you solve a damped harmonic oscillator differential equation?

The solution to a damped harmonic oscillator differential equation involves finding the roots of the characteristic equation mr2 + br + k = 0, and then using these roots to form the general solution ̇(t) = C1er1t + C2er2t, where C1 and C2 are constants determined by initial conditions.

4. What is the role of damping in a harmonic oscillator?

Damping in a harmonic oscillator is a dissipative force that reduces the amplitude of oscillations over time. It is often used in systems to prevent excessive vibrations and maintain stability.

5. How does the damping coefficient affect the behavior of a damped harmonic oscillator?

The damping coefficient b determines the rate at which energy is dissipated in a damped harmonic oscillator. A larger value of b leads to faster damping and a smaller amplitude of oscillation, while a smaller value of b results in slower damping and a larger amplitude of oscillation.