Deciding Between Oregon Grad Schools for Electrical Engineering: OSU vs PSU

In summary, when choosing a grad school, important factors to consider include the reputation and ranking of the school, the program and faculty in your desired field of study, the location and cost, and opportunities for research and internships. It is ultimately important to prioritize your personal goals and interests. You can gather information about different grad schools through online research, attending fairs, speaking to current or former students, and reaching out to professors or advisors. When evaluating a grad school program, consider the curriculum, faculty, research opportunities, specialized resources, and reputation of graduates. Some red flags to watch out for include a high student-to-faculty ratio, lack of funding or resources, low job placement rates, and negative reviews from students. Thorough
phoenixosu
I'm considering graduate school in the event that I don't get a full time job, and I'm considering two graduate schools here in Oregon where I'm from.

I am going for a masters in electrical engineering, either an M.Eng or M.S depending on funding options workload and available classes etc.

Oregon State University
This is where I got my undergrad, 2 B.S. degrees one in computer engineering and one in electrical engineering. The place is very research focused, they have some interesting classes. This place is ranked usually around 60-80 in the nation and is known nation-wide. It is also more expensive and I'd have to pay for at least the first year myself before getting funding. This school works closely with Intel, NVidia, HP, and a others.

Portland State University
This is a more inner city school, ranked typically 120-80 in the nation depending on the poll. They do have a good electrical program just like OSU, but are more practically focused, the classes sound very interesting and in line with what I want to do. The place offers RA/TA jobs on a per term basis so getting into one sooner is a possibility, it would be cheaper to go here. This school works closely with Intel, Tektronix, and a few others. They are not as well known nationwide but well known in Oregon. Often it is called Portland's best kept secret.

I like that PSU offers more interesting classes than OSU and would be more affordable, but its lower rank and less known presence concerns me as far as getting a job with a degree from there. I feel confident that I can get a 3.5/4.0+ from either program. I also like the more practical focus of PSU and the people there have been more helpful during the admissions process. What do you guys think I should do? I am accepted to OSU and probably will be to PSU shortly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ultimately, the decision will come down to what you think will be best for your career and your future. You need to consider the reputation of the school, the quality of the program in terms of classes and research opportunities, the cost of attendance, and the job prospects after graduation. Depending on your individual goals, one school may end up being a better fit than the other. If it were me, I would take the time to do some more research and talk to people who have attended both schools to get a better understanding of their experiences. This will help you make an informed decision that will be best for you in the long run.

Related to Deciding Between Oregon Grad Schools for Electrical Engineering: OSU vs PSU

What factors should I consider when choosing a grad school?

There are several important factors to consider when choosing a grad school. These include the reputation and ranking of the school, the program and faculty in your desired field of study, the location and cost of the school, and any opportunities for research or internships.

Is it better to choose a highly ranked school or a program that aligns with my interests?

It ultimately depends on your personal goals and priorities. A highly ranked school may provide more opportunities and resources, but a program that aligns with your interests and goals may offer a more fulfilling experience. Consider what is most important to you in your academic journey.

How can I gather information about different grad schools?

You can gather information about grad schools by researching online, attending virtual or in-person grad school fairs, talking to current or former students, and reaching out to professors or advisors in your field of interest.

What should I look for in a grad school program?

When looking for a grad school program, consider the curriculum, faculty, research opportunities, and any specialized resources or facilities that may be available. It is also important to assess the program's reputation and success of its graduates in their respective fields.

What are some red flags to watch out for when choosing a grad school?

Some red flags to watch out for when choosing a grad school include a high student-to-faculty ratio, lack of funding or resources for students, a low job placement rate for graduates, and negative reviews from current or former students. It is important to thoroughly research and consider all aspects of a grad school before making a decision.