Decomposing an SU(3) product in irreps

In summary, the tensor product of Young graphs with different fundamental rep is not always clear because there can be more than two in-equivalent irreps of the same dimension.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I am trying to work out with Young graphs the tensor product of:
[itex] \bar{3} \otimes \bar{3} [/itex]

The problem is that I end up with:

[itex] \bar{3} \otimes \bar{3} = 15 \oplus 6 \oplus 3 \oplus 3 [/itex]

Is that correct? It doesn't seem correct at all (dimensionally speaking I should have taken something like [itex]\bar{6} \oplus 3[/itex] - like baring the [itex]3 \otimes 3 =6 \oplus \bar{3}[/itex])...
In fact I am unable to understand the rule that says:
looking from the right-to-left in rows and from the top-to-bottom collumns, the number of the [itex]b[/itex]s (in this case) must be less or equal to the number of [itex]a[/itex]'s.
For example that's not the case for any of my graphs execpt for the [itex]15[/itex].

Attachments

• likeaboss.jpg
    likeaboss.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that in SU(N), a column with N boxes corresponds to a fully anti-symmetrized object and is therefore a singlet. This means you can remove such columns. You can remove your 15 because it has a "b" in the top right and the same goes for one of your 3s.

I am not understanding why to drop it away though... Why would I drop them? I mean for the 15:
the first row has 1 a and 1 b... But the 2nd collumn has only one b, is that's why it's dropped?
If that's correct then the other 3 should also be dropped, because in the 1st collumn I have only one b..

You start at the right of the first row and go left, then continue with the second row to the right and go left (and continue from the right of the third row if you have SU(N) with N > 3, etc). You delete the tableaux if at any point you have counted more bs than as (you do not reset the count after changing rows).

Likes ChrisVer
Hmm...I think I get it...
When you say at any point you mean precisely at any point (like counting from right to left, I count the first box as b, so b>a and it's over, no matter if next to b I have 1 or more a's), right?

Yes, at any point, not waiting for the full row to be counted.

Likes ChrisVer
OK, I got it, thanks

Oh yes, I still have one question. Is it possible to understand whether you have a bar or unbarred irrep in the docomposition?
For example the [itex]6[/itex] or [itex]\bar{6}[/itex]? or any kind of [itex] N [/itex] or [itex]\bar{N}[/itex]

ChrisVer said:
Oh yes, I still have one question. Is it possible to understand whether you have a bar or unbarred irrep in the docomposition?
For example the [itex]6[/itex] or [itex]\bar{6}[/itex]? or any kind of [itex] N [/itex] or [itex]\bar{N}[/itex]
Yes, once you fix your convention for the fundamental rep. there will be no confusion with higher dimensional irreps. The irreps [itex]D^{(p,q)}[/itex] are carried by traceless symmetric tensor [itex]T^{ ( i_{1} \cdots i_{p} ) }_{( j_{1} \cdots j_{q} ) }[/itex]. In [itex]SU(3)[/itex] this corresponds to a two-row Young tableau with [itex](p + q)[/itex] boxes in the upper row and [itex](q)[/itex] boxes in the lower one. The dimension of this representation space (i.e, the number of independent components in T) is given by [tex]\mbox{dim} ( D^{( p , q )} ) = (1/2) ( p +1 ) ( q + 1 ) ( p + q + 2 ) .[/tex] To distinguish between different irreps, we use the two Casmir operators of the group [tex]G^{( 3 )} D^{ ( p , q ) } = \frac{1}{9} ( p - q ) ( 2p + q + 3 ) ( p + 2q + 3 ) D^{ ( p , q ) } ,[/tex] [tex]F^{ ( 2 ) } D^{ ( p , q ) } = \left( \frac{1}{3} ( p^{2} + p q + q^{2} ) + p + q \right) D^{ ( p , q ) } .[/tex]
Notice that [tex]G^{ ( 3 ) } D^{ ( p , q ) } = - G^{ ( 3 ) } D^{ ( q , p ) } = - G^{ ( 3 )} \bar{ D }^{ ( p , q ) }[/tex] So, the convention is this, the eigenvalue of [itex]G^{(3)}[/itex] is [itex]\geq 0[/itex] for [itex]D^{( p , q )}[/itex] and [itex]\leq 0[/itex] for [itex]\bar{ D }^{ ( p , q )}[/itex]. Notice also that the notation [itex][ n ][/itex] for irrep is not always safe to use. This is because there may be more than just two in-equivalent irreps of the same dimension. For example [itex]D^{ ( 4 , 0 ) } \sim T^{( i j k l )}[/itex], [itex]D^{ ( 0 , 4 ) } \sim T_{( i j k l )}[/itex], [itex]D^{ ( 2 , 1 ) } \sim T^{ ( i j ) }_{ k }[/itex] and [itex]D^{ ( 1 , 2 ) } \sim T^{ k }_{( i j )}[/itex] all have the same dimension [itex][15][/itex].

Last edited:
Likes ChrisVer

Related to Decomposing an SU(3) product in irreps

1. What is SU(3) decomposition?

SU(3) decomposition refers to the process of breaking down a representation of the special unitary group SU(3) into its irreducible representations (irreps). This allows for a more simplified understanding of the group and its properties.

2. Why is decomposing an SU(3) product into irreps important?

Decomposing an SU(3) product into irreps is important because it allows for a more systematic and organized way of studying the group. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships between different representations of the group.

3. How is SU(3) decomposition done?

SU(3) decomposition is typically done using a method called the Young tableaux. This involves constructing a diagram with rows and columns that correspond to the fundamental representations of SU(3). The irreps are then identified based on the shape of the tableaux.

4. What are the applications of SU(3) decomposition?

SU(3) decomposition has various applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics and particle physics. It is used to understand the symmetries and properties of particles and their interactions.

5. Are there any limitations to SU(3) decomposition?

While SU(3) decomposition is a useful tool for studying the group, it has its limitations. It can become very complex and difficult to perform for higher dimensional representations and can also be time-consuming. Additionally, it does not always provide a complete understanding of the group and its representations.