Define the mapping torus of a homeomorphism

In summary, the mapping torus of a homeomorphism \phi:X \rightarrow X is the identification space, T(\phi) is the same as S^1, and f:S^1 \rightarrow T(\phi) is a map from the standard space S^1 to the mapping torus T(\phi).
latentcorpse
Define the mapping torus of a homeomorphism [itex]\phi:X \rightarrow X[/itex] to be the identification space

[itex]T(\phi)= X \times I / \{ (x,0) \sim (\phi(x),1) | x \in X \}[/itex]

I have to identify [itex]T(\phi)[/itex] with a standard space and prove that it is homotopy equivalent to [itex]S^1[/itex] by constructing explicit maps [itex]f:S^1 \rightarrow T(\phi), g: T(\phi) \rightarrow S^1[/itex] and explicit homotopies [itex]gf \simeq 1:S^1 \rightarrow S^1, fg \simeq 1:T(\phi) \rightarrow T(\phi)[/itex] in the two cases:

(i) [itex]\phi(x)=x[/itex] for [itex]x \in X=I[/itex]
(ii) [itex]\phi(x)=1-x[/itex] for [itex]x \in X=I[/itex]

i found that since [itex]X=I[/itex], we have a square of side 1 to consider:

in (i) we identify two opposite sides with one another, this gives us a cylinder.
in (ii) we identify the point x with the point 1-x on the opposite side giving a kind of "twist" which i think leads to a Mobius strip.

first of all, are my answers above correct? it says to identify them with a standard space. is there some sort of notation i can use for cylinders and Mobius strips? e.g. i can call a circle [itex]S^1[/itex], is there something like [itex]C^1[/itex] for a cylinder?

then, how do i go about setting up the maps [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex]?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Your are correct: it's a cylinder and a Möbius strip; as far as I know, there isn't a specific abbreviation for these spaces, besides their names.

Regarding the maps f and g, consider the "central" fibre of [tex]T\left(\phi \right)[/tex]: (1/2,y), [tex]y \in \left[0,1\right][/tex]; this is, in both cases, a homeomorphic image of [tex]S^1[/tex]; now f and g are very simple maps, and you can "contract" [tex]T\left(\phi \right)[/tex] to the central fibre; this gives you the homotopy.

so [itex]g:T(\phi) \rightarrow S^1 ; (1/2,y) \mapsto ( \cos{ 2 \pi y}, \sin{ 2 \pi y } )[/itex] for [itex]y \in [0,1][/itex]. would that work? i don't understand how to contract down the x coordinate so that i can in fact only consider the central fibre as i have done above in ym function for g.

assuming that's ok, [itex]f:S^1 \rightarrow T(\phi) ; ( \cos{ 2 \pi y}, \sin{ 2 \pi y } ) \mapsto (1/2,y)[/itex] for [itex]y \in [0,1][/itex], yes?

pretty sure that's probably wrong but i can't see an alternative.
thanks.

Related to Define the mapping torus of a homeomorphism

1. What is a mapping torus?

A mapping torus is a mathematical concept that involves taking a space and "twisting" it along a given homeomorphism (a one-to-one continuous function between two spaces). This creates a new space that is topologically equivalent to the original space, but with a "handle" attached to it.

2. How is a mapping torus defined?

A mapping torus is defined as the space obtained by taking the Cartesian product of the original space with the unit interval [0,1], and then identifying points along the boundaries of this product according to the given homeomorphism.

3. What is the significance of a mapping torus?

In mathematics, mapping tori are used to study the dynamics of homeomorphisms, which can have complex and chaotic behavior. They also have applications in geometry, topology, and group theory.

4. Can any homeomorphism be used to define a mapping torus?

Yes, any homeomorphism can be used to define a mapping torus. However, the resulting space may have different topological properties depending on the nature of the homeomorphism.

5. How is a mapping torus different from a usual torus?

A mapping torus is different from a usual torus in that it has an extra dimension due to the addition of the interval [0,1]. It also has a "twist" or "handle" attached to it, making it topologically distinct from a usual torus.