Demonstration/proof advice needed

• Thread starter inner08
  • Start date
In summary: By doing this you will learn how to use the axioms proficiently and you will be able to move on to harder ones.In summary, if you are struggling with demonstrations using axioms and propositions, it is important to start with the definitions and understand which axioms are being used in each step. It may also be helpful to follow proofs in a calculus or linear algebra book and work backwards to see how the axioms are being applied. With practice, you will become more proficient in using axioms and be able to tackle more difficult problems.
inner08
Hello,

I'm presently taking a Linear Algebra I course (in French). I'm having difficulty learning how to do demonstrations using axioms/propositions.

For example, if I had to prove somcething like -(-B) = B or something like (B^-1)^-1=B, it just seems so obvious to me that its correct. I don't want the answer, I just want to learn how to basically prove simple problems like those so I can move on to harder ones.

I think the main thing I don't get is where do I start or what is the first thing I should do when I have demonstrations to do? (yes, I've looked at the list of axioms and such..)

Any insight would help!

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to start with the definitions. What is the definition of A^-1? it is the object that satisfies AX=XA=Id. So, what is B(B^-1)? It is Id, as is B^-1B, thus the inverse of B^-1 is B.

Take the definitions, and show that the thing in question satisfies the definition. This is why the most common piece of advice here is 'well, what is the definition of foo?' You'd be surprised (perhaps) at the number of people who don't know what it is that they are trying to prove and confuse that with the inability to prove it.

inner08 said:
Hello,

I'm presently taking a Linear Algebra I course (in French). I'm having difficulty learning how to do demonstrations using axioms/propositions.

For example, if I had to prove somcething like -(-B) = B or something like (B^-1)^-1=B, it just seems so obvious to me that its correct. I don't want the answer, I just want to learn how to basically prove simple problems like those so I can move on to harder ones.

I think the main thing I don't get is where do I start or what is the first thing I should do when I have demonstrations to do? (yes, I've looked at the list of axioms and such..)

Any insight would help!

Thanks,

What makes you think it is "obvious"? Because every one knows that (-1)(-1)(B)= B? That's missing the point. "-B" does not mean (-1)B. "-B" means "the additive inverse of B". In a group, every member has an additive inverse so given B, -B exists. And, then, it must have an additive inverse. What is the additive inverse of -B?

Presumably, your definition of additive inverse is something like: For any X in the group, -X is the unique member of the group such that X+ (-X)= 0 (the group identity) and (-X)+ X= 0. So the additive inverse of -B (call it "A" for the moment) must satisfy (-B)+ A= 0 and A+ (-B)= 0.

On the other hand, if you are saying it is obvious because of the "obvious" similarity of those equations defining the additive inverse, you are completely correct. Just write that down as clearly as you can!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello inner08,

my advice would be to take a calculus or linear algebra book and follow some of those easy proofs. The important thing is to recognize which of the axioms is used in each step. You will then recognize tricks such as adding a zero.

inner08 said:

As mentioned above, you will learn about tricks such as adding a zero. If you don't know where to start it can help to work "backwards". First look which result you want to get, then work backwards.

Remember, in each step you have to be aware which axiom in the list you are using.

After you've followed some of the proofs, try to prove the statements yourself the next day.
Start with the easy ones.

Last edited:

Related to Demonstration/proof advice needed

What is the purpose of a demonstration or proof?

The purpose of a demonstration or proof is to provide evidence or reasoning to support a claim or hypothesis. It allows others to understand and verify the validity of the claim being made.

What are the key components of a demonstration or proof?

The key components of a demonstration or proof include a clearly stated claim, supporting evidence or reasoning, and a logical and organized structure to present the information.

How do I ensure my demonstration or proof is effective?

To ensure effectiveness, it is important to clearly define the purpose of the demonstration or proof, use reliable and relevant evidence, and explain the logic behind each step of the demonstration or proof.

Can I use visuals or examples in my demonstration or proof?

Yes, using visuals or examples can be helpful in making a demonstration or proof more understandable and convincing. However, it is important to ensure that they are relevant and accurately represent the information being presented.

What should I do if my demonstration or proof is not convincing enough?

If your demonstration or proof is not convincing enough, you may need to review and revise your evidence or reasoning, seek feedback from others, or consider alternative perspectives or approaches to support your claim.