Derivation for Friction in Brakes

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the expression for frictional resistances in block brakes, using standard symbols to represent parameters. The issue at hand is that two reference books have derived the expression assuming that friction produces torque in the same direction as the rotation of the drum, without providing an explanation. This raises the question of why this assumption was made, as it suggests that the drum would never stop rotating. The questioner has since found the answer to their question and thanks the Physics Forums for their help.
plutamech

Homework Statement

Derive the expression for frictional resistances in block brakes.Use standard symbols to denote required parameters.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My actual problem is the fact that I have checked 2 reference books, both have derived the expression assuming the friction produces a torque in the same direction of rotation of the drum.There is no explanation why this has been done.
If these 2 forces(friction and force of rotation) were to produce torque in the same direction then I suppose the drum should never stop its rotation, so what is the actual derivation with explation?
Kindly Help..

Physics news on Phys.org
I have got the answer to my question.
Thank You Physics Forums.

Related to Derivation for Friction in Brakes

1. What is friction in brakes?

Friction in brakes is the force that resists the motion of a vehicle when the brakes are applied. It is created by the contact between the brake pads and the rotating surface of the wheel, which helps to slow down or stop the vehicle.

2. How does friction affect the braking process?

Friction is essential for the braking process as it helps to convert the kinetic energy of the moving vehicle into heat energy. This heat energy is then dissipated into the surrounding air, which ultimately slows down the vehicle.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction in brakes?

The amount of friction in brakes is affected by several factors, such as the type of brake pads, the condition of the braking surface, the weight of the vehicle, and the speed at which the vehicle is traveling.

4. How is the coefficient of friction calculated in brakes?

The coefficient of friction in brakes is calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force, which is the force exerted by the weight of the vehicle on the brakes. This value can vary depending on the materials used for the brake pads and the braking surface.

5. What are some ways to reduce friction in brakes?

There are several ways to reduce friction in brakes, such as using high-quality brake pads, maintaining the braking surface in good condition, and avoiding excessive braking or sudden stops. Additionally, using anti-lock braking systems (ABS) can also help to reduce friction and improve braking performance.