Derivation of angular velocity using the unit circle

jnuz73hbn
Homework Statement
I am looking for a good derivation of $$ \ ω = \frac{Δα}{Δt} \ $$
, starting from the unit circle. My approach would be to first construct a right-angled triangle (Pythagorean theorem), then express $$ cos(α) $$ for the ankathete and $$ sin(α) $$ as the anticathete. Then I have a point on the arc of the circle (r=1). How do I get a suitable derivation for the initial formula of the angular velocity?
Relevant Equations
$$ \ Δα = α_2 - α_1 \ $$
$$ \ ω = \frac{Δα}{Δt} \ $$

Physics news on Phys.org
jnuz73hbn said:
Homework Statement: I am looking for a good derivation of $$ \ ω = \frac{Δα}{Δt} \ $$
That's essentiallly the definition, although usually ##\theta## or ##\phi## is used as the polar angle. The definition of angular velocity is $$\omega = \lim_{\Delta t \to 0} \frac{\Delta \theta}{\Delta t} = \frac{d\theta}{dt}$$See, for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_velocity

Last edited:
PeroK said:
That's essentiallly the definition, although usually ##\theta## or ##\phi## is used as the polar angle. The definition of angular velocity is $$\lim_{\Delta t \to 0} \frac{\Delta \theta}{\Delta t}$$See, for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_velocity
however, i wanted to go via the unit circle with sinus and cosine to derive exactly this definition

jnuz73hbn said:
however, i wanted to go via the unit circle with sinus and cosine to derive exactly this definition
By definition, you can't derive a definition.

Likes nasu
PeroK said:
By definition, you can't derive a definition.
I just want to know where the formula comes from using the unit circle or how it relates to sin cos in the unit circle

jnuz73hbn said:
I just want to know where the formula comes from using the unit circle or how it relates to sin cos in the unit circle
In plane polar coordinates, angular velocity ##\omega## is defined as ##\omega = \frac{d\theta}{dt}##. This means that, for example, uniform circular motion about the origin is given by:
$$x = R\cos(\omega t), \ y = R\sin(\omega t)$$

Likes jnuz73hbn