Deriving Multiplication Factor for Geometrized Units: Help Needed!

• Thread starter ofeyrpf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, geometrized units use the multiplication factor to convert between different units, such as mass to length. This factor is derived from setting c and G to 1, which allows for simpler calculations. The factor for converting from Coulombs to length is derived from the equation for electric field or electric force, which contains 4πε₀. This can be found in the geometrized unit system on Wikipedia.
ofeyrpf
Geometrized units use the multiplication factor to convert for example mass to length, in this case the factor would is G/C^2. I know this is to do with setting c=G=1. How does one derive the multiplication factor from this?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Shane

Physics news on Phys.org
You have
c = 1 = 3e8 m/s, therefore 1 s = 3e8 m
G = 1 = 6.67e-11 m³/(kg*s²) = 6.67e-11/(3e8)² m/kg, therefore 1 kg = 6.67e-11/(3e8)² m

Thank you Ich. I now see where G/c^2 comes from.

Similarily would you be able to show me where \sqrt(G/(4\pi\epsilon_0))^{1/2}/c^2 come from for converting Coulombs to length? I presume it has soemthing to do with the equation for either electric field or electric force as both these contain 4\pi\epsilon_0.

Thanks for your help so far.

Yes I have checked out wiki. Thank you. But there they only gave the multiplication factors but not where they came from. But I know where the factor for converting from Coulumbs to length comes from now. Thanks

Related to Deriving Multiplication Factor for Geometrized Units: Help Needed!

1. How do you derive the multiplication factor for geometrized units?

To derive the multiplication factor for geometrized units, you need to first identify the base units for each geometrized quantity. Then, using dimensional analysis, you can determine the conversion factor between the base unit and the geometrized unit. Finally, multiply the conversion factors for each quantity to get the overall multiplication factor.

2. What are the benefits of using geometrized units in scientific calculations?

Geometrized units are beneficial because they simplify calculations by removing the need for conversion factors between different systems of units. They also allow for a more direct connection to physical concepts and make it easier to understand and compare different quantities.

3. Can the multiplication factor for geometrized units change for different equations?

Yes, the multiplication factor for geometrized units can vary for different equations depending on the types of quantities involved. However, the general process for deriving the factor remains the same.

4. How do you determine the base units for a geometrized quantity?

The base units for a geometrized quantity are typically derived from the fundamental physical properties that the quantity represents. For example, the base unit for length would be meters, for time would be seconds, and for mass would be kilograms.

5. Are there any limitations to using geometrized units?

One limitation of using geometrized units is that they may not always be practical or widely used in certain fields of science. Additionally, they may not be suitable for all types of calculations, particularly in more complex systems where multiple conversion factors are needed.