Deriving the rayleigh-jeans limit of planck law of radiation

In summary, the conversation discusses the accuracy of the Reyleigh-Jeans law in relation to the Planck law of radiation for small frequencies. It is shown that the Reyleigh-Jeans law is off by a factor of 3, but this can be corrected by substituting ##e^{h\nu/kT} \approx 1 + h\nu/kT## into the Planck law. The use of l'hopital's rule is also mentioned in the conversation.
Jonsson
Hello there,

Plack law of radiation
$$
B(\nu) = \frac{2\,h\,\nu^3}{c^2(e^{h\nu/kT}-1)}
$$

I want to show that for small frequencies, Reyleigh-Jeans law:
$$
B(\nu) = \frac{2\nu^2kT}{c^2}
$$
is correct.

I take the limit of Planck law as ##\nu \to 0## using l'hopital rule:
$$
\lim_{\nu \to 0} \frac{2\,h}{c^2} \frac{\nu^3}{e^{h\nu/kT}-1} \stackrel{\text{l'H}}{=} \lim_{\nu \to 0} \frac{2\,h}{c^2} \frac{3\nu^2kT}{e^{h\nu/kT}h} = 0
$$

I am off by a factor of 3. What is wrong with my maths?

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
Marius

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Oh, I got it worked out. I just write, ##e^{h\nu/kT} \approx 1 + h\nu/kT##, and substitute this into Planck law of radiation.

Related to Deriving the rayleigh-jeans limit of planck law of radiation

1. What is the Rayleigh-Jeans limit of the Planck law of radiation?

The Rayleigh-Jeans limit is a mathematical approximation of the Planck law of radiation, which describes the spectral distribution of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body at a given temperature. It was developed by Lord Rayleigh and Sir James Jeans in the early 20th century as a classical explanation of black body radiation.

2. How is the Rayleigh-Jeans limit derived from the Planck law?

The Rayleigh-Jeans limit is derived by taking the classical limit of the Planck law, which means applying classical mechanics and Maxwell's equations to the behavior of atoms and molecules that emit radiation. This results in a mathematical expression that describes the amount of radiation emitted at a given wavelength and temperature.

3. What is the significance of the Rayleigh-Jeans limit?

The Rayleigh-Jeans limit was an important development in the study of black body radiation, as it provided a good approximation of experimental data at longer wavelengths. However, it was not able to accurately explain the observed spectral distribution at shorter wavelengths, leading to the development of quantum mechanics and the Planck law.

4. How does the Rayleigh-Jeans limit compare to the Planck law?

The Rayleigh-Jeans limit agrees with the Planck law at longer wavelengths, but diverges at shorter wavelengths. This is due to the fact that the Rayleigh-Jeans limit does not take into account the quantization of energy levels in atoms and molecules, which is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.

5. Can the Rayleigh-Jeans limit be used to accurately predict black body radiation?

No, the Rayleigh-Jeans limit is not able to accurately predict black body radiation at all wavelengths. It is only a good approximation at longer wavelengths, but fails to explain the observed behavior at shorter wavelengths. The Planck law, which takes into account the quantization of energy levels, is a more accurate model for predicting black body radiation.