Design a flyback transformer for charging defibrillator

It looks like you got some good info, and if you have more questions, feel free to start another thread in the EE Forum. Thanks.In summary, designing a flyback transformer for controlled charging of a defibrillator capacitor involves using PWM and a MOSFET to control the transformer switching. It is important to use caution when working with high voltages and to carefully select a core and calculate the appropriate amount of wire to wind onto it. Resources such as TI, Magnetics Inc, and Coilcraft have guides and tools available to assist with transformer design.
swathy
how can i design a flyback transformer for the controlled charging of defibrillator capacitor(high voltage). The charging is controlled using PWM which controls the transformer switching using a MOSFET.

Attachments

• transformer_design_for_charging_defibrillator_capacitors(1).pdf
    106.8 KB · Views: 408
Engineering news on Phys.org
swathy said:
how can i design a flyback transformer for the controlled charging of defibrillator capacitor(high voltage). The charging is controlled using PWM which controls the transformer switching using a MOSFET.
Welcome to the PF.

It looks like the paper you attached has a pretty good explanation for your question. Have you read it? Is there some part that you do not understand? Is this for schoolwork?

Sorry to be a pain here but is this project aimed ant actually building something? If it is, then you need to be under the direction of someone who is competent to handle very high voltages. By their very nature, Defib Capacitors store enough energy to kill you. I'm not sure what the Mods would think about this? eh, berkeman?

Likes berkeman
sophiecentaur said:
eh, berkeman?
:smile:

sophiecentaur said:
By their very nature, Defib Capacitors store enough energy to kill you.
Yep. And it's mentioned on page 4.
CAUTION: The charged capacitor used in the example can
provide a LETHAL shock.

swathy said:
how can i design a flyback transformer ...

That paper stops short of designing the actual transformer.

The Devil is always in the Details. You've got to pick a core and figure out how much wire to wind onto it.

TI has a guide here
https://www.ti.com/lit/ml/slup127/slup127.pdf

core manufacturers have design guides but they tend to be cryptic because the folks who write them are so experienced they have difficulty making their shorthand easy for beginners to grasp.
Magnetics Inc is an old line supplier with an extensive library.
take a look here
https://www.mag-inc.com/Design/Selection-Guide
https://www.mag-inc.com/Design/Design-Guides/Transformer-Design-with-Magnetics-Ferrite-Cores
https://www.mag-inc.com/getattachme...oductDistributionChartWaAc2012.pdf?lang=en-US

hope that gets you started.

Coilcraft has design tools that help you pick one of their standard transformers.
http://www.coilcraft.com/transformsel.cfm
http://www.coilcraft.com/prod_cap_charger.cfm

old jim

Last edited:
dlgoff said:
Yep. And it's mentioned on page 4.
Safety / danger would probably also be mentioned in paper on using TNT but PF would still urge caution and probably distance itself from too much discussion. I think it's in the rules.

The OP has not been back in almost a week, so I'll go ahead and close the thread for now. @swathy -- send me a Private Message if you would like this thread re-opened for discussion.

Likes jim hardy

Related to Design a flyback transformer for charging defibrillator

1. How do I determine the required specifications for the flyback transformer?

In order to design a flyback transformer for charging a defibrillator, you will need to know the input voltage, output voltage, and output power requirements of the device. Additionally, you will need to consider factors such as efficiency, switching frequency, and maximum operating temperature.

2. What materials should I use for the flyback transformer?

The materials used for the flyback transformer should be chosen based on the desired performance and cost of the transformer. Commonly used materials include ferrite cores, copper wire, and insulation materials such as enamel or tape. It is important to select materials with high permeability and low losses to ensure efficient operation.

3. How do I calculate the number of turns for the transformer windings?

The number of turns for the transformer windings can be calculated using the equation Np/Ns = Vp/Vs, where Np is the number of primary turns, Ns is the number of secondary turns, Vp is the primary voltage, and Vs is the secondary voltage. This ratio should also take into account factors such as core saturation and desired output voltage ripple.

4. What is the typical design process for a flyback transformer?

The design process for a flyback transformer typically involves determining the specifications, selecting materials, calculating the number of turns, designing the core and winding structure, and simulating and testing the transformer for performance and efficiency. Iterative adjustments may be necessary to achieve desired results.

5. Are there any safety considerations when designing a flyback transformer for a defibrillator?

Yes, safety is an important aspect to consider when designing a flyback transformer for a defibrillator. The transformer should be designed to minimize leakage inductance and ensure proper insulation to prevent electric shock hazards. It is also important to consider EMC/EMI compliance and proper grounding to avoid interference with other medical equipment.