Design of Mechanical Systems

They cover a wide range of mechanical design topics, including both rigid and non-rigid dynamic systems. They also include discussions on drawing accurate Free Body and Kinetic Diagrams, making reasonable assumptions to simplify them, evaluating systems to ensure they meet design constraints, and failure analysis. In summary, "Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design" textbooks are a good resource for learning about designing mechanical systems with multiple machine components.
Michael24
I'm looking for a textbook on designing mechanical systems with multiple machine components.

I'd like to study both rigid and non rigid dynamic systems. I'm open to studying systems composed of any mechanical component. In particular, I'd like to learn
1. draw accurate Free Body(FBD) and Kinetic Diagrams(KD) for each machine component
2. Make reasonable assumptions to simplify FBD & KD

3. (*Most interested) evaluate system to ensure it satisfies design constraints
4. failure analysis: stress, structural integrity, fatigue,..

Can anyone recommend a textbook? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd start by looking at Shigley's "Mechanical Engineering Design" books. There are many editions of them, with a couple of co-authors.

Likes CalcNerd and billy_joule

Related to Design of Mechanical Systems

1. What is the purpose of designing mechanical systems?

The purpose of designing mechanical systems is to create efficient and reliable machines that can perform specific tasks. This involves analyzing the requirements, selecting appropriate components, and integrating them into a functional system.

2. What are the key factors to consider when designing a mechanical system?

The key factors to consider when designing a mechanical system include the intended use of the system, the environment in which it will operate, the desired performance and efficiency, and the available budget for the project.

3. How do you ensure safety in the design of mechanical systems?

Safety is a critical aspect of designing mechanical systems. To ensure safety, engineers must follow strict design guidelines and regulations, perform thorough risk assessments, and incorporate safety features such as emergency shut-off mechanisms and protective barriers.

4. What are the common challenges in the design of mechanical systems?

Some common challenges in the design of mechanical systems include balancing conflicting design requirements, managing complexity, and ensuring compatibility and integration of various components. Additionally, cost and time constraints can also pose challenges.

5. How has technology influenced the design of mechanical systems?

Technology has greatly influenced the design of mechanical systems by providing advanced tools and techniques for analysis, simulation, and prototyping. This has allowed for more precise and efficient designs, as well as faster development and testing processes.