Designing Lag or Lead Compensators with 3rd order systems

In summary: Now I can try it out!here is some MATLAB code you can use to experiment. change p to change the value of the added poleDon, I was thinking that the smallest pole is s=-10 is the one that can be ignored, sorry if I'm wrong. But isn't that's the one farthest from imaginary axis so has little effect on the system response?And thank you for the answer & the MATLAB code. I'll check it soon as I get MATLAB.ya you're right. I was an idiot and thought the pole was at 0.1...it was a blond moment:) no worries. So do you think the approximation is right?As I said above
koochiee
For a 3rd order system, can I use 2nd order approximation (granted dominant pole is ≈5 Tau away from third pole), when designing a Lead or Lag compensator?

Can this OLTF = K/{s(0.1s+1)(s+1)} be approximated to 10K/{s(s+1) which ultimately gives CLTF=10K/{s(s+1)+ K} ? and then design Lead or lag network based on the performance specifications (which are given)

OLTF - Open Loop Transfer Function
CLTF - Closed Loop Transfer Function

Physics news on Phys.org
1.) The smallest pole is the most dominant. If you were to get rid of a pole it would be the pole at 1.

2.) do you have access to matlab? If the answer is yes, I would sim both systems and compare the differences.
typically to completely disregard a pole pd/px << 1 where px is the pole in question and pd is the dominant pole. When you are near that range things can get fuzzy.

in your case I would disregard the pole for your calculation of your lead/lag network. Then resim the system with the original network. If you need to tweek your lead/lag filter to achive the desired phase margin or step response then do so. Keep in mind that the closer a pole/zero is to the dominant pole, the more effect it will have on the system response

keep in mind that a pole that occurs after the zero crossover has much less of an effect than a pole that occurs before the zero crossover. Keep that in mind when setting your dc gain

clc,clear
close all
format short engk=0.01;
%p=extra pole
p=1

sys_1=zpk([],[0 -0.1],k);
sys_2=zpk([],[0 -p -0.1],k*p);

sys_1_cl=feedback(sys_1,1);
sys_2_cl=feedback(sys_2,1);

figure()
step(sys_1_cl,sys_2_cl)
legend('sys 1','sys 2')
title('closed loop step response')

figure()
bode(sys_1,sys_2)
legend('sys 1','sys 2')
title('open loop freq response')

figure()
bode(sys_1_cl,sys_2_cl)
legend('sys 1','sys 2')
title('closed loop freq response')

sys_1_info=stepinfo(sys_1_cl)
sys_2_info=stepinfo(sys_2_cl)

sys_1_cl_pole=pole(sys_1_cl)
sys_2_cl_pole=pole(sys_2_cl)

here is some MATLAB code you can use to experiment. change p to change the value of the added pole

Don, I was thinking that the smallest pole is s=-10 is the one that can be ignored, sorry if I'm wrong. But isn't that's the one farthest from imaginary axis so has little effect on the system response?

And thank you for the answer & the MATLAB code. I'll check it soon as I get MATLAB.

ya you're right. I was an idiot and thought the pole was at 0.1...
it was a blond moment

:) no worries. So do you think the approximation is right?

As I said above, the approximation is on the border of being right. The addition of that pole at 10 does effect the system. It really depends on how accurate you need to be. with the pole at 10, the overshoot changes by 5%. All other effects are negligible.

I would recommend you make the approximation, but then test the system with a pole at 10, and make adjustments if needed. Does that make sense?clc,clear
close all
format short engk=1;
%p=extra pole
p=10

sys_1=zpk([],[0 -1],k);
sys_2=zpk([],[0 -p -1],k*p);

sys_1_cl=feedback(sys_1,1);
sys_2_cl=feedback(sys_2,1);

figure()
step(sys_1_cl,sys_2_cl)
legend('sys 1','sys 2')
title('closed loop step response')

figure()
bode(sys_1,sys_2)
legend('sys 1','sys 2')
title('open loop freq response')

figure()
bode(sys_1_cl,sys_2_cl)
legend('sys 1','sys 2')
title('closed loop freq response')

sys_1_info=stepinfo(sys_1_cl)
sys_2_info=stepinfo(sys_2_cl)

sys_1_cl_pole=pole(sys_1_cl)
sys_2_cl_pole=pole(sys_2_cl)

Yes I do, thank you! Thank you again for the codes.

Related to Designing Lag or Lead Compensators with 3rd order systems

What is a Lag or Lead Compensator?

A Lag or Lead Compensator is a type of controller used in feedback control systems to improve the performance of a system. It is designed to adjust the phase and gain of the system in order to stabilize it and reduce errors.

What is a 3rd order system?

A 3rd order system refers to a system that has three poles in its transfer function. These poles can be real or complex numbers and dictate the behavior of the system.

Why do we need to design Lag or Lead Compensators for 3rd order systems?

Designing Lag or Lead Compensators for 3rd order systems is necessary because these systems often have undesirable characteristics such as sluggish response, oscillations, or instability. A compensator can be designed to improve these characteristics and make the system more stable and responsive.

How do you design a Lag or Lead Compensator for a 3rd order system?

The design process for a Lag or Lead Compensator involves finding the desired phase and gain margins for the system and then calculating the required compensator parameters to achieve these margins. This can be done using various design methods such as root locus or frequency response techniques.

What are the limitations of using Lag or Lead Compensators in 3rd order systems?

While Lag and Lead Compensators can improve the performance of a 3rd order system, they also have limitations. These include the potential for introducing additional delays or instabilities, and the fact that they may not be able to completely eliminate all system errors.