Detecting Vanishing Dimensions

• Thread starter J.F.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary, the authors think that by lowering the dimensionality of space-time, they can resolve ultraviolet divergences in practically all of the quantum field theories.
Space news on Phys.org
They refer to this previous paper by Anchordoqui et al: http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.5914

I don't have the theory chops to understand the Anchordoqui paper in detail, but based on my limited knowledge, here's one thing that bugs me. Motion is relative, so the energy of a TeV cosmic ray is zero in the cosmic ray's own frame of reference. That makes me think that they're saying spacetime has one dimensionality in one frame, but another dimensionality in a different frame. But normally we think of dimensionality as a frame-independent property of spacetime. In GR, a diffeomorphism preserves the signature.

[EDIT] After puzzling over the paper a little more, I see that they refer to a preferred frame, which seems to be the frame of the lattice that spacetime is made out of. They also talk about some kind of violation of Lorentz invariance that somehow averages out or something. I don't really see how this can work. If there is some preferred frame, how is it determined what this preferred frame is?

Last edited:
bcrowell said:
They refer to this previous paper by Anchordoqui et al: http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.5914

I don't have the theory chops to understand the Anchordoqui paper in detail, but based on my limited knowledge, here's one thing that bugs me. Motion is relative, so the energy of a TeV cosmic ray is zero in the cosmic ray's own frame of reference. That makes me think that they're saying spacetime has one dimensionality in one frame, but another dimensionality in a different frame. But normally we think of dimensionality as a frame-independent property of spacetime. In GR, a diffeomorphism preserves the signature.

[EDIT] After puzzling over the paper a little more, I see that they refer to a preferred frame, which seems to be the frame of the lattice that spacetime is made out of. They also talk about some kind of violation of Lorentz invariance that somehow averages out or something. I don't really see how this can work. If there is some preferred frame, how is it determined what this preferred frame is?

I see that authors aspire to resolve the fine tuning problem. They refer to school boy idea:
"lowering the dimensionality of space-time universally cures ultraviolet divergences in practically all of the quantum field theories".

Related to Detecting Vanishing Dimensions

What is meant by vanishing dimensions?

Vanishing dimensions refer to the concept in theoretical physics where additional dimensions beyond the three spatial dimensions (length, width, and height) are theorized to exist but are undetectable to us in our everyday experiences. This theory is commonly associated with string theory and attempts to explain the fundamental forces of the universe.

How do scientists detect vanishing dimensions?

Scientists use a variety of experimental and theoretical methods to detect vanishing dimensions. Some experiments involve high-energy particle collisions, while others use mathematical equations and simulations to study the behavior of particles in multiple dimensions. However, since these dimensions are theorized to exist on a microscopic scale, direct detection is currently impossible.

What evidence do we have for the existence of vanishing dimensions?

While there is currently no direct evidence for the existence of vanishing dimensions, there are several theories and mathematical models that support the idea. String theory, for example, requires the existence of ten dimensions to be mathematically consistent. Additionally, some experiments have shown results that are consistent with the behavior predicted by theories involving multiple dimensions.

Can we ever prove the existence of vanishing dimensions?

It is currently unknown if we will ever be able to prove the existence of vanishing dimensions. Some scientists believe that as our technology and understanding of the universe advances, we may be able to indirectly detect these dimensions through their effects on other physical phenomena. However, others argue that the concept of vanishing dimensions may remain purely theoretical and unprovable.

What implications would the discovery of vanishing dimensions have?

The discovery of vanishing dimensions would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in physics. It could also help us to better understand the fundamental forces of the universe and potentially lead to a unified theory of everything.