Determination of iron purity by redox reaction

In summary, the conversation is about a chemistry question involving the titration of a sample with potassium permanganate. The equation and calculations are provided, with the conclusion that the iron purity of the sample is around 88-89%. The questioner is seeking clarification on any potential mistakes in their calculations.
izzypink
Hi just wondering if you could help, I've stumbled across an example question where the iron purity is meant to be above 80% when

8H+ + 5Fe2+ + MnO4- → 5Fe3+ + Mn2+ + 4H2O

15cm3 is titrated and concentration of potassium permanganate used is 0.02M

So far I have worked out

Number of moles of potassium permanganate=

Concentration x Volume(cm3) = 0.02 x 15 = 3x10-4 moles
1000 1000

From the equation the ratio of moles of potassium permanganate to moles of iron is 1:5

Therefore 3x10-4 x 5= 1.5x10-3 Moles of Iron for sample “A”

Mass of Iron: Molesx Relative atomic mass= 1.5x10-3 x 55.845 = 0.0837675g

The original mass of sample is 3.80g and the iron purity in the answers is around 88-89%

Can anybody help me understand where I've gone wrong?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sounds to me like 15 mL is volume of titrated sample, not volume of the titrant. I guess there are other details - like dilution of the sample - that can be important.

--
http://www.titrations.info

Related to Determination of iron purity by redox reaction

1. What is the purpose of determining iron purity by redox reaction?

The purpose of determining iron purity by redox reaction is to accurately measure the amount of iron present in a sample. This information is important for quality control in industries that use iron, such as construction and manufacturing.

2. How does the redox reaction method work to determine iron purity?

The redox reaction method involves using a chemical reaction between iron and a known amount of a reagent, such as potassium permanganate. The amount of reagent used is then measured before and after the reaction to calculate the amount of iron present in the sample.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of iron purity determination by redox reaction?

The accuracy of iron purity determination can be affected by factors such as impurities in the sample, variations in the reagent used, and human error in measuring the reagent. It is important to carefully control these factors to ensure accurate results.

4. Are there any limitations to using redox reaction for determining iron purity?

Yes, there are some limitations to using redox reaction for determining iron purity. This method may not be suitable for samples with a low iron concentration, as the reaction may not produce a noticeable color change. In addition, other elements in the sample may also react with the reagent, leading to inaccurate results.

5. How can the results of iron purity determination by redox reaction be validated?

The results of iron purity determination by redox reaction can be validated by performing multiple trials and comparing the results, using a different method for determining iron purity, or by sending the sample to a certified laboratory for analysis.