Determine electric field at point P, Electric fields question

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving electric fields and charges. The problem states the charges as -6nC and 4nC, which should be interpreted as -6*10^-9 C and 4*10^-9 C. The person asking for help has made some mistakes in their calculations, specifically mixing up the sine and cosine functions when finding the components of the electric field. After correcting this mistake, the correct answer is found to be around 35 N/C.
riken9

Homework Statement

Heres the probelm: http://imgur.com/TbzJxVa

Homework Equations

e = kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

q-p
Ex = (9*10^9)(4)/(0.80)^2 = 5.625*10^10

Q-p
E1 = (9*10^9)(6)/(1)^2 = 5.4*10^10

Ex = E1sin45 = -3.82*10^10
Ey = E1cos45 = 3.82*10^10

P
p = SQRT((5.625*10^10)+(-3.82*10^10))^2+(3.82*10^10)^2) = 4.42 *10^10

The answer is actually 35 N/C, i don't know what am doing wrong. Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks at your charges, 4 and 6. They should be 4*10^-9 and 6*10^-9. Also double check your angle.

Why should they be *10^-9, sorry i was taught very poorly how to do these questions so i have limited knowledge on this topic.

In the problem it states the charges are -6nC and 4nC. The "n" in nC is nano, which means 10^-9.

I found the angle to be 37 degrees, now my answer is around 49 Nc; which is still not close 35 Nc. Any more tips of what might of gone wrong?

The angle is right.

It must be a small error in the algebra somewhere. If you keep getting it wrong, post your work here.

Heres what i am doing:

q-p
Ex = (9*10^9)(4*10^-9)/(0.80)^2 = 56.25

Q-p
E1 = (9*10^9)(6*10^-9)/(1)^2 = 54

Ex = E1sin37 = 32.5
Ey = E1cos37 = 43.1

P
p = SQRT((56.25)+(-32.5))^2+(43.1)^2) = 49.22

The 32.5 is negative because am thinking the - charge on Q makes the electric field go in ward, so its positive in the y-axis and negative in the x axis.

Your cos and sin are wrong, you have them mixed up. Cos is for stuff dealing with "x" and sine is for stuff dealing with "y" (for this problem).

try it as Ex = E1cos37, and Ey=E1sin37.

All your reasoning is correct, just a simple mistake.

Thank you so much! To think, the only reason my answers were wrong cause of my stupid mistakes. Might need to be be careful, and not rush these questions.

Related to Determine electric field at point P, Electric fields question

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that is created by electrically charged particles. It describes the force that a charged particle would experience at a particular point in space.

2. How is the electric field calculated at a point?

The electric field at a point is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged particle at that point by the charge of the particle. This can be expressed mathematically as E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the charge.

3. What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is affected by the magnitude of the charges creating the field, as well as the distance between the charges. The type of material between the charges can also impact the strength of the field.

4. How is the direction of an electric field determined?

The direction of an electric field is determined by the direction that a positive test charge would move if placed in the field. It always points from positive to negative charges.

5. What is the unit of measurement for electric field?

The unit of measurement for electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C). This represents the force exerted on a one coulomb charge placed in the field.