Determine Kn (constant) of MOSFET easyway

In summary, the conversation discusses the extraction of the Kn parameter from a MOSFET datasheet, specifically for the IRF510 model. The formula for Kn is derived from the gfs parameter, which is another name for Gm. The calculation for Kn is (gfs)^2 / (4*Id). However, when implementing this in LT-Spice, there seems to be an issue with the corresponding Id current not being obtained. The parameters used are R1=R2=100K, Rd=400, and Id=10 mA. The desired result is V0=1 or more, but only a small voltage of 200 mV is seen on Vds. Assistance is requested.
vco.asm
long time when i had tried more on how to extracting Kn from mosfet datasheet
finally i found it;
i datasheet look at gfs parameter with its details
lets take IRF510
----------------------------------------------------------
gfs------------ 1.3 ----------- @3.4 A ----------- simens
----------------------------------------------------------
gfs is another name of Gm

thus
Kn= (gfs)^2 / (4*Id) where Id specified in datasheet under test condations of gfs

Kn= (1.3)^2 / (4 * 3.4) = 124 mA/V2

please if =there are something wrong in my calculation then do not stop reply and give us your opinions

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well in saturation,

I = kn/2 * W/L * (Vgs - Vth)^2

Or = Kn/2 * (Vgs - Vth)^2 if you include W/L in kn.

Then Gm = Kn * (Vgs - Vth)

Thus, Kn = (Gm^2)/(2I)

putting values, = 1.3^2 / 2*3.4 = 248.529 mA/V^2

there is something strange in my lt-spice
when i build my circuit mosfet with voltage divider + NO Rs (@Source Lead)
i did not get the corresponding Id current WHY?

my parameter:
R1=R2=100K
Rd=400
Id=10 mA
where i used IRF510 with Kn= gfs^2 / 4Id = (1.3)^2 / (4 * 3.4 ) = 124 mA/v2
i want to see at least V0= 1 or more than this

but unfortunately i see very small voltage on Vds about 200 mV

please some one help me

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Determine Kn (constant) of MOSFET easyway

1. What is the purpose of determining the Kn constant of a MOSFET?

The Kn constant, also known as the transconductance parameter, is a measure of the MOSFET's ability to amplify a small input signal. It is important to determine this constant in order to accurately predict the performance of the MOSFET in different circuit configurations.

2. How is the Kn constant of a MOSFET calculated?

The Kn constant can be calculated by dividing the drain current (Id) by the square of the gate-source voltage (Vgs) at a specific operating point on the MOSFET's characteristic curve. This operating point is usually the saturation region, where the MOSFET is most linear and efficient.

3. What factors affect the Kn constant of a MOSFET?

The Kn constant is primarily affected by the physical dimensions of the MOSFET, such as the channel length and width, as well as the type of semiconductor material used. The Kn constant also varies with temperature, bias conditions, and the presence of any parasitic effects in the circuit.

4. How can the Kn constant be improved for better MOSFET performance?

The Kn constant can be improved by optimizing the design of the MOSFET, such as reducing the channel length, increasing the channel width, or using a high-quality semiconductor material. Additionally, proper biasing and circuit layout techniques can minimize parasitic effects and improve the accuracy of the Kn constant.

5. Can the Kn constant change over time or with use?

The Kn constant is a physical parameter that is largely determined by the design and construction of the MOSFET. It may vary slightly with temperature and bias conditions, but it should not significantly change over time or with normal use of the device. However, extreme operating conditions or wear and tear can potentially affect the Kn constant and should be monitored in critical applications.