Determine the ice cube temp change

In summary, a physics student filled a plastic child's swimming pool with 200 liters of water at 25oC. They added 30g ice cubes from their refrigerator, originally at 0oC, until the temperature stabilized at 16oC. The student added a total of 9 ice cubes. The water has a density of 1000 kg/m3, a specific heat of 1.0 cal/g C, and latent heat of fusion of 80 cal/g. To reach stasis, the heat given up by the water must equal the heat required to melt the ice and raise its temperature to 16oC.
mattmannmf
Trying to beat the heat of the last summer, a physics student went to the local toy store and purchased a plastic child's swimming pool. Upon returning home, she filled it with 200 liters of water at 25oC. Realizing that the water would probably not be cool enough, she threw ice cubes from her refrigerator, each of mass 30g, into the pool. (The ice cubes were originally at 0oC.) She continued to add ice cubes, until the temperature stabilized to 16oC. She then got in the pool.

The density of water is 1000 kg/m3, the specific heat of water is 1.0 cal/g C, the specific heat of ice is 0.5 cal/g C, and the latent heat of fusion of water is 80 cal/g.

A) How many ice cubes did she add to the pool to get the temperature to 16 C? (Consider the pool and ice cubes an isolated system.)

So first I solved for heat lost by water...(200g)*(1 cal/g)*(25-16)= -1800 kj. I know that that has to equal the ice cubes heat lost.
to determine the ice cube temp change..i take a single ice cube and do the same procedures as before but adding the phase change... so its:(.5)(30)+(30)(1)(16-0)=495..

im just not sure if I am going the right direction...if i am, i am stuck right here..

Physics news on Phys.org

200 liters H2Oski = 200*1000g = 200,000 g.

Consider that you have 200,000 g of water.

You have the heat given up by the water = the heat required to melt ice and raise its temp to stasis

200,000g*1*9 = X*(80 + 16)*30

where X is the # of cubes.

I would approach this problem by first calculating the total heat lost by the water in the pool. This can be done by using the equation Q = mcdeltaT, where Q is the heat lost, m is the mass of water, c is the specific heat of water, and deltaT is the change in temperature. Using the given values, we can calculate the heat lost by the water to be 1800 kJ.

Next, I would calculate the heat lost by each individual ice cube. This can be done by using the same equation, but with the specific heat of ice and the change in temperature from 0oC to 16oC. The heat lost by each ice cube can be found to be 495 J.

To determine the number of ice cubes added, we can divide the total heat lost by the heat lost by each ice cube. This gives us 1800 kJ / 495 J = 3.64 ice cubes. Since we cannot have a fraction of an ice cube, we can round up to 4 ice cubes.

Therefore, the student added 4 ice cubes to the pool to lower the temperature to 16oC. This calculation assumes that the pool and ice cubes are an isolated system and there are no other factors affecting the temperature change.

Related to Determine the ice cube temp change

1. How do you determine the temperature change of an ice cube?

To determine the temperature change of an ice cube, you will need to measure the initial temperature of the ice cube and then measure the final temperature after it has melted. The difference between the two temperatures will give you the temperature change.

2. What tools do you need to determine the temperature change of an ice cube?

You will need a thermometer to measure the temperature of the ice cube, as well as a container to hold the ice cube while it melts. You may also need a timer to track the time it takes for the ice cube to melt.

3. Does the size of the ice cube affect the temperature change?

Yes, the size of the ice cube can affect the temperature change. A larger ice cube will take longer to melt, resulting in a smaller temperature change compared to a smaller ice cube.

4. How does the surrounding temperature affect the temperature change of an ice cube?

The surrounding temperature can affect the temperature change of an ice cube. If the surrounding temperature is higher, the ice cube will melt faster and result in a larger temperature change compared to a lower surrounding temperature.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the temperature change of an ice cube?

The accuracy of determining the temperature change of an ice cube can be affected by factors such as the accuracy of the thermometer, the stability of the surrounding temperature, and any external factors that may influence the melting process, such as air flow or humidity.