Determine the value of B and C of a function

In summary, the task is to determine the values of b and c that make the function continuous on the entire real number line. This can be achieved by solving the inequality |x-2| ≥ 1 and finding the values that make the function match up at the points where the specification of the function changes. Drawing a picture can help to better understand the situation.
bbsamson
Member warned about posting with no effort

Homework Statement

Determine the value of b and c such that the function is continuous on the entire real number line

Homework Equations

f(x) = { x+1 , 1<x<3
x^2+bx+c, |x-2| >=1

The Attempt at a Solution

What is the best way to get the b and c value?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
bbsamson said:

Homework Statement

Determine the value of b and c such that the function is continuous on the entire real number line

Homework Equations

f(x) = { x+1 , 1<x<3
x^2+bx+c, |x-2| >=1

Hello bbsamson. Welcome to PF.

Please show an attempt at a solution.

What have you tried?

What sort of course is this for? Is it calculus? Are you using the idea of limits?

Last edited:
bbsamson said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

f(x) = { x+1 , 1<x<3
x^2+bx+c, |x-2| >=1

I have tried to put x+1 = x^2+bx+c when x=1 and x=3
I get the result of b = -3 & C =4
I just confuse the part of| x-2|>=1 , what is that mean in this question?

Understanding what it means is half the point of this question.

I suspect you have not transcribed the question completely exactly, down to the last punctuation mark, but it is understandable anyway.

What functions described this way mean is that e.g. f(x) = one thing, in this case (x + 1) for x that are in the range stated by the first condition, here 1<x<3, but f(x) = another thing, in this case... well you can fill this in yourself.

In this case if you look at it you'll find the two conditions match up such that f(x) is defined over the whole range of x from - to + infinity . That might not always be the case.

Then since you switch from one formula to another at some points, a function defined like this most often won't be continuous. It won't here for most a, b; you are asked to find the values of these where the function does match up at the points where the specification of the function changes. You seem to have done so.

I strongly recommend you draw a picture of of the |x - 2| ≥ 1 , in fact of the whole system and solution, then you will understand the situation much better and otherwise you are likely to make mistakes now and in future.

Last edited:
bbsamson said:
I have tried to put x+1 = x^2+bx+c when x=1 and x=3
I get the result of b = -3 & C =4
I just confuse the part of| x-2|>=1 , what is that mean in this question?
Solve the inequality: | x-2| ≥ 1.

That should clarify things.

Related to Determine the value of B and C of a function

What is the purpose of determining the value of B and C in a function?

Determining the value of B and C in a function allows us to understand the behavior and characteristics of the function, such as its rate of change and its intercepts.

How do I determine the value of B and C in a function?

To determine the value of B and C in a function, you can use various methods such as graphing, substitution, or solving a system of equations.

What information do I need to determine the value of B and C in a function?

You will need the equation of the function and at least two points on the graph to determine the value of B and C.

What are the limitations of determining the value of B and C in a function?

Depending on the complexity of the function, it may not be possible to determine the exact values of B and C. In some cases, we may only be able to approximate the values or determine a range of possible values.

How can I use the values of B and C in a function in real-life scenarios?

The values of B and C in a function can be used to model and predict real-life situations, such as the growth of a population or the depreciation of an asset over time.