Determining internal force with section cut on structure

In summary, the conversation covers how to solve a truss problem by finding external reactions first before considering internal forces. It is also mentioned that the given truss may be unstable, but this does not affect the solution to the problem. The conversation also includes tips on how to approach finding unknown forces and the importance of correctly labeling their direction. Finally, the solution to the problem is confirmed to be -75 kN and 75 kN.
member 392791

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello, my problem seems to be that I have two values that are possible for the Force FG, but I also am not considering the internal forces F_DE and F_FE. I'm not sure how to go about finding those if they are important for solving. For the summation of forces in a direction, do I only consider external forces and reaction forces, and not internal forces?

Attachments

• 6.43.pdf
    252.3 KB · Views: 500
  • 6.43 attempt 1.pdf
    221.9 KB · Views: 235
Physics news on Phys.org
It is almost always best to find the external end reactions first before cutting sections to find the internal member forces. By so doing you can find A_y; and the value of A_x should readily pop out at you.
You then have some plus/ minus errors in your sum of moments equations...if cw is minus, then ccw is plus. Otherwise , your free body diagrams look ok. Remember that when you solve for the unknown forces, and you get a negative number, it sometimes means you assumed the wrong direction for the force. It does not necessarily imply compression. Note also that when you sum forces or moments of a cut section, you include external forces and you also treat the internal forces at the cut members as external to the cut section.

Woopydalan: PhanthomJay well covered most of your post 1 questions, so I will only mention a few additional items, as follows. I do not know what you mean by "Force FG" in post 1.

Woopydalan said:
... but I also am not considering the internal forces F_DE and F_FE. I'm not sure how to go about finding those, if they are important for solving.
They are not important for the given question. You can continue excluding and ignoring them. Good call.

By the way, I currently notice the given truss seems unstable (partially constrained) to the second degree. However, to answer the given textbook question, this instability issue does not seem to matter. You can still solve for, and answer, the given question, by following the advice given by PhanthomJay in post 2.

Last edited:
nvn:

You are correct, joint B is unstable under the 35 kN load in BC. The truss should not be built this way with missing triangles.

Likes 2 people
Woopydalan: Hint: As PhanthomJay mentioned, find external reaction forces before cutting section cut a-a. summation(Fx) = 0 = Ax; therefore, Ax = 0 kN. Try again.

How does it look now?

Attachments

• 6.43 attempt 2.pdf
    246.2 KB · Views: 202
Woopydalan: Somehow, in your second free-body diagram, you inadvertently omitted a 35 kN applied load at joint C. Try again.

Last edited:
Without ommiting the 35 kN, then the answer should be -75 kN and 75 kN?

Nice work, Woopydalan. Your answer is correct.

Likes 1 person
Thank you!

Related to Determining internal force with section cut on structure

What is the purpose of determining internal force with section cut on a structure?

The purpose of determining internal force with section cut on a structure is to analyze the distribution of forces within a structure. This allows engineers to understand how the structure will behave under various loads and to ensure that it is able to withstand these loads without failure.

How is internal force calculated with a section cut?

Internal force is calculated by applying the principles of equilibrium and using the equations of statics. The section cut is used to isolate a portion of the structure and analyze the forces acting on it. By summing the forces and moments acting on the section, the internal forces can be determined.

What factors can affect the accuracy of determining internal force with section cut?

The accuracy of determining internal force with section cut can be affected by several factors, such as the accuracy of the structural model, the assumptions made in the analysis, and the type and magnitude of the loads applied. It is important to carefully consider these factors and validate the results to ensure the accuracy of the analysis.

Are there any limitations to determining internal force with section cut?

Yes, there are limitations to determining internal force with section cut. This method is most accurate for statically determinate structures, meaning those that can be fully analyzed using the principles of equilibrium. In addition, it may not accurately capture the effects of complex structural behavior, such as non-linear or dynamic behavior.

How can the results of determining internal force with section cut be used in structural design?

The results of determining internal force with section cut can be used to ensure that the structure can safely withstand the expected loads and to optimize the design. Engineers can use the internal force values to select appropriate materials and dimensions for the structure, and to identify areas of high stress that may require additional reinforcement.