Determining the Bragg plane spacing from diffraction pattern

baseballfan_ny
Homework Statement
Figure 1 shows a single 2D slice of a 3D diffraction pattern. The wavelength used is 0.975 Å and the distance between the crystal and detector is 13.7 cm.
1.1) What symmetry and symmetry axes do you see in this diffraction pattern? Please identify by specifying the type of symmetry (e.g. 3-fold rotation symmetry) and the direction of the axis (e.g. 3-fold rotation symmetry along the horizontal axis).
1.2) The diffraction pattern can be described as a 3D lattice with spots at lattice points of varying intensity. Measure the distance between adjacent lattice points along the horizontal axis?
1.3) Using Bragg’s Law to calculate, what is the repeat distance in the crystal that gives rise to the lattice spacing between diffraction spots along the horizontal axis?
Relevant Equations
Modified Bragg's Law (given, also shown below)
$$ d = \frac {\lambda} {2\sin[ \frac {(\tan^{-1}(\frac {d^*} {R}))} {2}] } $$
##d## = distance in crystal
##\lambda## = wavelength used
##d^*## = measured distance between adjacent lattice points in the diffraction pattern
##R## = distance between crystal and detector
1696503805825.png

1696504465016.png

1.1) I see 4-fold rotational symmetry about the axis going through the center of the diffraction pattern perpendicular to the plane of the page

1.2) and 1.3) This is where I'm stuck. Once I get the horizontal spacing between adjacent lattice points, ##d^*##, the repeat distance in the crystal ##d## would be relatively straightforward to calculate using the above version of Bragg's law in 1.3. However, I'm confused about measuring ##d^*## along the horizontal axis of the diffraction pattern in 1.2. The separation between any two spots in the diffraction-pattern along the horizontal axis is not uniform, so how do I measure "the distance between adjacent lattice points" along the horizontal axis if its constantly varying?

Edit: LaTeX delimiters

Physics news on Phys.org
Not all of the spots are the same strength but the spacing looks pretty regular to me. What is the diameter of the film disc?

1. What is the Bragg plane spacing?

The Bragg plane spacing is the distance between two adjacent crystal planes in a crystalline material. It is an important factor in determining the structure and properties of a material.

2. How is the Bragg plane spacing determined from a diffraction pattern?

The Bragg plane spacing can be determined from a diffraction pattern by measuring the angle at which the diffraction peaks occur. This angle is related to the wavelength of the incident radiation and the Bragg plane spacing through the Bragg equation: nλ = 2d sinθ, where n is the order of the diffraction peak, λ is the wavelength, d is the Bragg plane spacing, and θ is the angle of diffraction.

3. What type of radiation is used to determine the Bragg plane spacing?

X-rays are commonly used to determine the Bragg plane spacing from a diffraction pattern. This is because X-rays have a small wavelength, allowing for higher resolution in diffraction patterns.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the Bragg plane spacing?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of determining the Bragg plane spacing from a diffraction pattern, including the quality of the crystal sample, the wavelength of the incident radiation, and the precision of the diffraction measurement.

5. What is the significance of determining the Bragg plane spacing?

Determining the Bragg plane spacing is essential in understanding the crystal structure and properties of a material. It can provide valuable information for various fields such as material science, chemistry, and physics. Additionally, it is an important tool in identifying unknown materials through X-ray diffraction analysis.