Determining the ratio of volumes

In summary: I've checked it myself, and it seems to be correct. Again, thank you for taking the time to reply.In summary, the crown is made of silver and gold with a weight of 58.8 N in air and 54.8 N when submerged in water. The ratio of ##V_{\mathrm{gold}}## to ##V_{\mathrm{silver}}## in the crown is 50:50 (a) since the volume of the crown is equal to the volume of water displaced and the weights of gold and silver can be expressed in terms of their respective volumes using the density equation.

Homework Statement

A crown is made out of silver and gold. Its weight is 58.8 N in air, and 54.8 N when submerged in water.
What is the ratio of ##V_{\mathrm{gold}}## to ##V_{\mathrm{silver}}## in the crown?

##\rho_{\mathrm{gold}}=19300\frac{\mathrm{kg}}{\mathrm{m^3}}##
##\rho_{\mathrm{silver}}=10100\frac{\mathrm{kg}}{\mathrm{m^3}}##
##\rho_{\mathrm{water}}=1000\frac{\mathrm{kg}}{\mathrm{m^3}}##

(a) ##\frac{V_{\mathrm{gold}}}{V_{\mathrm{silver}}}=\frac{50}{50}##
(b) ##\frac{V_{\mathrm{gold}}}{V_{\mathrm{silver}}}=\frac{44}{56}##
(c) ##\frac{V_{\mathrm{gold}}}{V_{\mathrm{silver}}}=\frac{40}{60}##
(d) ##\frac{V_{\mathrm{gold}}}{V_{\mathrm{silver}}}=\frac{56}{44}##

Homework Equations

(i) ##V=\frac{m}{\rho}##

The Attempt at a Solution

The volume of water displaced by submerging the crown is equal to the volume of the crown itself.
The crown weighs 58.8 N in air, which implies the mass is 6.0 kg. It weighs 54.8 N when submerged, which implies the mass in 5.6 kg in water. Since the difference in mass is equal to 0.4 kg, this means that by formula (i), the volume of the crown is 0.0004 cubic metres.

Since this is the total volume of the crown, we can put this in an equation.
##V_{crown}=\frac{m_{gold}}{\rho_{gold}}+\frac{m_{silver}}{\rho_{silver}}##

How do I continue from this point? Would it be legal to rewrite the masses as ##m=\frac{F}{g}## and thus conclude (a) is the correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
1729 said:
Since this is the total volume of the crown, we can put this in an equation.
##V_{crown}=\frac{m_{gold}}{\rho_{gold}}+\frac{m_{silver}}{\rho_{silver}}##

How do I continue from this point? Would it be legal to rewrite the masses as ##m=\frac{F}{g}## and thus conclude (a) is the correct answer?
Didn't understand your question at the end.
You have one equation and two unknowns. You just need one more equation. Can you think of one involving the total mass you worked out?

Let's say that x = mass of gold in the crown. What is the mass of silver?

If you apply the density of each material to the respective masses, do you also obtain the total volume of the crown, as determined from submerging it in water?

Thanks for the input guys. I feel like this question is way easier than I make it out to be, but I just can't connect the dots.
SteamKing said:
Let's say that x = mass of gold in the crown. What is the mass of silver?
##m_{total}-x##
SteamKing said:
If you apply the density of each material to the respective masses, do you also obtain the total volume of the crown, as determined from submerging it in water?
I don't know. I plugged these numbers in the equation and solved for ##x##:
##0.0004 \ \mathrm{m^3} = \frac{x}{19300 \ \mathrm{\frac{\ kg}{m^3}}}+\frac{6.0 \mathrm{kg}-x}{10100 \ \mathrm{\frac{kg}{m^3}}}##
##\Leftrightarrow x=4.1 \ \mathrm{kg}##
If you were to calculate the volumes using ##V=\frac{m}{\rho}##, and were to check the ratio it produces, you would notice it satisfies none of the four possible answers given. My intuition would give you an affirmative answer to your question, but I can't ignore this calculation that contradicts that assertion.
So, the answer is: "no"?
haruspex said:
Didn't understand your question at the end.
You have one equation and two unknowns. You just need one more equation. Can you think of one involving the total mass you worked out?
Just ignore the last question, I've worked it out to be false.

I don't see what other equation I would need. I've tried rewriting the masses in relation to each other -- see the calculation above -- but I suppose that's a dead end.

The easiest thing is to work with the volumes of gold and silver. Let Vg be the volume of gold in the crown and let Vs be the volume of silver in the crown. In terms of Vg, what is the weight of gold in the sample? In terms of Vs, what is the weight of silver in the sample? These have to add up to the total weight. In terms of Vg and Vs, what is the total volume of the crown? What is the upward force exerted by the water on the crown when the crown is submerged (in terms of Vg and Vs). You should now have two equations in the two unknowns Vg and Vs. What are these two equations, and what are their solutions?

Chet

Hi Chet,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
After spending a multitude of hours on this problem today, it seems that I've formulated a linear system whose solutions appear to indicate (a) is the correct answer. Could you please have a look at it and confirm whether or not my reasoning is incorrect?

WolframAlpha link
##4 \ \mathrm{N}=\rho_{water}g(V_g+V_s)##
##58.8 \ \mathrm{N}=\rho_gV_gg+\rho_sV_sg##
##\Leftrightarrow V_g=V_s## which implies ##\frac{V_g}{V_s}=\frac{50}{50}##

1729 said:
Hi Chet,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
After spending a multitude of hours on this problem today, it seems that I've formulated a linear system whose solutions appear to indicate (a) is the correct answer. Could you please have a look at it and confirm whether or not my reasoning is incorrect?

WolframAlpha link
##4 \ \mathrm{N}=\rho_{water}g(V_g+V_s)##
##58.8 \ \mathrm{N}=\rho_gV_gg+\rho_sV_sg##
##\Leftrightarrow V_g=V_s## which implies ##\frac{V_g}{V_s}=\frac{50}{50}##
Yes. Your formulation is exactly what I envisioned. I haven't checked your "arithmetic."

Chet

Great, thank you!

Related to Determining the ratio of volumes

What is the purpose of determining the ratio of volumes?

The purpose of determining the ratio of volumes is to understand the relative sizes of two or more objects or substances. This ratio can be used to make comparisons, predictions, or calculations in various scientific fields.

How do you calculate the ratio of volumes?

To calculate the ratio of volumes, you can use the formula volume 1/volume 2 = ratio. This means dividing the volume of one object or substance by the volume of another. The resulting ratio can be expressed as a decimal, fraction, or percentage.

What are some common tools used to measure volumes?

Some common tools used to measure volumes include graduated cylinders, beakers, pipettes, and burettes. These tools often have volume markings or graduations that allow for accurate measurements to be taken.

How is the ratio of volumes used in chemistry?

The ratio of volumes is often used in chemistry to determine the concentration of a solution. This can be done by measuring the volume of a solute and a solvent and then calculating their ratio. The resulting concentration can then be used in various chemical reactions and experiments.

Why is it important to accurately determine the ratio of volumes?

Accurately determining the ratio of volumes is important because it can affect the outcome of experiments and calculations. Inaccurate measurements can lead to incorrect conclusions and potentially dangerous situations in certain fields like chemistry and medicine. Precise measurements of volume ratios are crucial for obtaining reliable and valid data in scientific research.