Device Needed for Chaotic Systems Demonstration

SphericalCow
I'm trying to do a demonstration of chaotic systems for college students.

If anybody knows where I can find a desktop double pendulum online / how I can DIY one without woodworking that'd be much appreciated.

I did find the "swinging sticks kinetic sculpture", but I'd prefer a more classic example such as a double pendulum (or any other ideas you might have).

Science news on Phys.org
They might also enjoy making a system themselves. Make a pendulum with a magnetic bob, and hang it over the table top so it hangs about an inch above with the North facing down. Put some magnets on the surface at random positions with the north facing up.

https://www.jusleg.com/ChaoticMagneticSuperPendulum/

Last edited:
A golf ball sitting atop a basketball is a very simple demonstration of a chaotic system.

So, we are led to believe, is Laura Dern's knuckle.

1702787491965.png

Likes BillTre

Related to Device Needed for Chaotic Systems Demonstration

1. What is a device needed for chaotic systems demonstration?

A device needed for chaotic systems demonstration is a physical apparatus that can simulate and visualize chaotic systems, such as the double pendulum or the Lorenz system. It typically consists of mechanical components that exhibit sensitive dependence on initial conditions, leading to unpredictable and complex behavior.

2. How does the device work?

The device typically uses a set of interconnected components that are sensitive to small changes in their initial positions or parameters. As the system evolves over time, these small differences can lead to vastly different outcomes, resulting in chaotic behavior. The device often includes sensors to track the movement of the components and a display to visualize the chaotic patterns that emerge.

3. What are the benefits of using a device for chaotic systems demonstration?

Using a device for chaotic systems demonstration allows researchers and students to observe and study complex dynamical systems in a hands-on way. It provides a tangible example of chaotic behavior that is difficult to understand through mathematical equations alone. Additionally, interacting with the device can help develop intuition about chaos theory and nonlinear dynamics.

4. Can the device be used for educational purposes?

Yes, the device can be a valuable educational tool for teaching concepts related to chaos theory and nonlinear dynamics. By manipulating the components of the device and observing the resulting behavior, students can gain a deeper understanding of chaotic systems and how small changes can have large effects. It can also be used to demonstrate the concept of sensitive dependence on initial conditions and the butterfly effect.

5. Where can I find a device for chaotic systems demonstration?

Devices for chaotic systems demonstration can be purchased from scientific equipment suppliers or educational suppliers that specialize in physics and engineering teaching aids. Alternatively, some institutions or research labs may have custom-built devices that they use for demonstrations or research purposes. Online marketplaces and auction sites may also have listings for used devices that are no longer needed by their original owners.