Dice with weighted sides, looking for odds of a sum:faster way

• Thread starter pugfug90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dice
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a weighted 6-sided die and finding the odds of getting a sum of 4 when throwing the die twice. The solution involved considering the individual probabilities of rolling each number and determining the probability of getting a 1 or 2 on the first roll, and then multiplying it by the probability of getting a 3 on the second roll. This was represented in a chart but the conversation also considered the possibility of finding a more efficient equation-based approach.
pugfug90
Dice with weighted sides, looking for odds of a sum:faster way please

Homework Statement

6 side die is weighted so prob of rolling 2,3,4,5,6 is same and rolling 1 is 3x rolling a 2. If die is thrown twice, what's odds of getting a sum of 4?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x+x+x+x+x+3x represents the "chances" of rolling a 2,3,4,5,6, and 1. So 2,3,4,5,6 individually have a 1/8 chance of rolling each time. 1 has a 3/8 chance of hitting each time.

a)For sum of 4 from 2 rolls, I need to get 1,2,3 on either rolls. Chance of getting that on first roll is 1/8 + 1/8 + 3/8 = 5/8.

If I get a 1 or 2 on first roll, then my 2nd roll can only be one result, so 5/8*1/8=5/64. Then now it's weird. If I get a 3, I multiply 5/8 by 3/8 right? o_O Answer is 7/64 though and for 3, it'd be 15/64.

Also, 7/64 doesn't match the 5/64 I got for getting a 1 or 2 on 2nd roll.

b)I made a chart. I got the correct answer this way, but can someone show me a faster way?

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=15919977748640328011

Physics news on Phys.org
If I get a 1 or 2 on first roll, then my 2nd roll can only be one result, so 5/8*1/8=5/64.
That can't be right. 5/8 is the odds of getting a 1, 2, or 3 on the first roll... but you said you were considering the case where you got a 1 or 2 on the first roll.

Incidentally, why bother breaking the problem into "first roll" and "second roll"? Why not just consider each possible pair of rolls as outcomes?

Incidentally, why bother breaking the problem into "first roll" and "second roll"? Why not just consider each possible pair of rolls as outcomes?

You mean 5/8 * 5/8? That wouldn't equal 7/64. My chart works out to 7/64, but I want to find a less meticulous way.

pugfug90 said:

You mean 5/8 * 5/8? That wouldn't equal 7/64. My chart works out to 7/64, but I want to find a less meticulous way.

Well, most of the outcomes in {(1, 1), (1, 2), (1, 3), (2, 1), (2, 2), (2, 3), (3, 1), (3, 2), (3, 3)} do not have a sum of 4. So clearly the answer is not the probability of getting anyone of these outcomes.

I can finally see your chart. I'm not sure what the problem with that approach is -- unless you mean writing the entire chart. Of course you don't need to write down all 36 outcomes; you only need to write down the 3 relevant ones.

Just wondering if there was an equational way?

Related to Dice with weighted sides, looking for odds of a sum:faster way

What is a dice with weighted sides?

A dice with weighted sides is a type of dice that has uneven distribution of weight on each side, resulting in certain sides being more likely to land facing up than others.

How can I determine the odds of a sum with a dice with weighted sides?

Determining the odds of a sum with a dice with weighted sides can be done by calculating the probability of each side landing facing up and then using those probabilities to calculate the overall odds of getting a specific sum.

Is there a faster way to calculate the odds of a sum with a dice with weighted sides?

Yes, there are various mathematical formulas and algorithms that can be used to quickly calculate the odds of a sum with a dice with weighted sides. These methods are often used by statisticians and researchers.

Are the odds of a sum with a dice with weighted sides different from a regular dice?

Yes, the odds of a sum with a dice with weighted sides will be different from a regular dice because the probabilities of each side landing facing up are not equal. This means that certain sums will be more likely to occur than others.

Can the odds of a sum with a dice with weighted sides be manipulated?

Yes, the odds of a sum with a dice with weighted sides can be manipulated by adjusting the distribution of weight on each side. This can be done intentionally or unintentionally, and can affect the fairness of the dice.