Did my teacher make a mistake? (Kirchoff's Rules)

In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, the homework system's answers for the equations in the given electric circuit are False, False, False. This is because according to Kirchhoff's current law, the current entering a junction is equal to the current leaving a junction. In the top junction of the circuit, the currents entering and leaving are I2 and I3 respectively. Setting these currents equal does not produce equation a.) I2 + I3 = I1, making it false.
carpelumen
Consider the electric circuit shown in the figure. Using Kirchhoff's rules, select True or False for the following equations.

a.) I2 + I3 = I1
b.) ε1 - I2R2 - I3R3 - I1R1 = 0
c.) ε2 - I1R5 - I3R3 - I2R4 = 0

http://tinypic.com/r/2zyws55/8

My answers were: True, False, False.

However, the homework systems answers are False, False, False...

How is 'a' false? Anyone??

Physics news on Phys.org
carpelumen said:
Consider the electric circuit shown in the figure. Using Kirchhoff's rules, select True or False for the following equations.

a.) I2 + I3 = I1
b.) ε1 - I2R2 - I3R3 - I1R1 = 0
c.) ε2 - I1R5 - I3R3 - I2R4 = 0

http://tinypic.com/r/2zyws55/8

My answers were: True, False, False.

However, the homework systems answers are False, False, False...

You could save us a *whole* lot of work if you would post the KCL equations you wrote for this circuit. That way we don't have to spend the time to write them out for ourselves and try to interpret why you answered the way you did. The more work you show us, the better and faster help you will get here.

carpelumen said:
a.) I2 + I3 = I1

you should be able to tell us why you think a.) is true.

According to Kirchhoff's current law, the current entering a junction, is equal to the current leaving a junction.
Look at the top junction. What's the current entering it and leaving it? Does setting those currents equal produce a.) ?

I got it! Dumb mistake on my part

I cannot definitively say whether your teacher made a mistake or not without more information. However, I can provide an explanation for why the homework system may have marked your answer for part a as false.

Kirchhoff's Current Law states that the sum of all the currents entering a node (or junction) in a circuit must equal the sum of all the currents leaving that node. In the circuit shown in the figure, the node at the top has three currents entering (I1, I2, and I3) and only one current leaving (I1). Therefore, according to Kirchhoff's Current Law, the equation should be I1 = I2 + I3, not I2 + I3 = I1.

It is possible that your teacher or the homework system made a mistake in labeling the currents or nodes in the circuit, which could have led to the incorrect equation being given. Without more information, it is difficult to determine the exact reason for the discrepancy. I would recommend discussing this with your teacher to clarify any confusion and better understand the correct application of Kirchhoff's Rules.

Related to Did my teacher make a mistake? (Kirchoff's Rules)

1. What are Kirchoff's Rules and why are they important in science?

Kirchoff's Rules, also known as Kirchoff's Laws, are two fundamental principles in circuit analysis that help determine the behavior of electrical circuits. The first rule, known as Kirchoff's Current Law, states that the sum of the currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of the currents leaving that node. The second rule, known as Kirchoff's Voltage Law, states that in a closed loop, the sum of the voltage drops must equal the sum of the voltage rises. These rules are important because they allow us to analyze complex circuits and predict the flow of electricity within them.

2. How do Kirchoff's Rules apply to my teacher's mistake in my circuit analysis?

Kirchoff's Rules can be used to check for any errors in a circuit analysis, including those made by your teacher. By applying these rules, you can determine if the calculations and assumptions made in the analysis are accurate and if any mistakes were made. If the results obtained using Kirchoff's Rules do not match the results given by your teacher, then it is likely that a mistake was made in the analysis.

3. Can Kirchoff's Rules be used to correct mistakes in my circuit analysis?

Kirchoff's Rules can be used to identify and correct mistakes in circuit analysis, but they cannot fix the mistake for you. It is important to carefully check your calculations and assumptions using these rules to pinpoint where the mistake was made. Once the mistake is identified, you can correct it and re-do the analysis to obtain accurate results.

4. Are there any limitations to Kirchoff's Rules?

While Kirchoff's Rules are useful and widely applicable, they do have some limitations. They are only applicable to linear circuits, meaning that the components in the circuit must follow Ohm's Law and have a constant resistance. Additionally, these rules do not take into account the effects of magnetic fields and electromagnetic induction, which can be significant in some circuits.

5. Where can I learn more about Kirchoff's Rules and their applications?

There are many resources available to learn more about Kirchoff's Rules and their applications in circuit analysis. You can consult textbooks, online tutorials, or seek help from a tutor or instructor. Additionally, there are many simulation tools available that allow you to practice applying these rules to different circuits and scenarios.