Difference between holographic paper and diffraction gratings?

• B
  • Thread starter James2018
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffraction
James2018
TL;DR Summary
What is the difference between holographic paper sold in decorative shops and professional diffraction gratings? What about the difference between pearlescent decorative tape and professional dichroic mirrors?
Radiant-laser-Holographic-Tapes.jpg
indigo-radiant-morph-colour-change-tapes.jpeg
images.jpg
moonbeam-colorshifting-tape.jpg
images (1).jpg
blue_opal_tape_1.jpg
9129aNgsehL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

These photos show pearlescent tape that changes color when observed from different angles. Either it's the full rainbow like in the third, fifth and seventh images I displayed here or just a few colors like in the other images, they still change color and are called "iridescent decorative tapes". How do they compare to professional diffraction gratings and professional dichroic mirrors which are more expensive? Do they work on the same principles in physics or on different principles?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, all these items rely on the same principle of wave interference when light is scattered (or transmitted) by microstructures. These, like the examples you list are human made, but they also occur naturally. This Wikipedia article mentions all that. The morpho butterfly is my favorite example of structural wave interference (see video below.)

• Informative
Likes phinds
with
professional diffraction gratings
you can do actual measurements. With a butterfly that's not so realistic :smile:

##\ ##

Likes kuruman
BvU said:
with you can do actual measurements. With a butterfly that's not so realistic :smile:

##\ ##
One of the teachers at my university thought that diffraction gratings and dichroic mirrors are expensive and that me and him could never afford one. He thought about using a CD for a diffraction grating. Yet I found these in a decorations shop - holographic paper and pearlescent tape. I guess they can replace the professional dichroic mirror and diffraction grating?
One such PVC film does completely block a red laser pointer and " is widely applied in decoration of bags, shoes and clothes".

image1.jpg

Is it true that these plastic dichroic films are created by melting plastic (polyester or polyvynil chloride) together with mica flakes coated with thin films of titanium dioxide?

James2018 said:
One of the teachers at my university thought that diffraction gratings and dichroic mirrors are expensive and that me and him could never afford one.
When I was in charge of introductory physics lab at my University we had two experiments in "modern physics" in which students used gratings. The first week they used the spectrum of hydrogen to determine the Rydberg constant. The second week they used the measured wavelengths from the previous week in a photoelectric experiment to determine ##h/e.## They got decent results.

The gratings they used were mounted on cardboard slides (I don't remember the spacing). Through Amazon.com you can get these for $2.99 ea., these for $9.90 ea. and these for $43.30 ea.

Edmund Scientific has pricier gratings in the $100-200 range that might not be prohibitively expensive for your teacher and you. The adage "you get what you pay for" is almost always the case but, of course, what you should get is what you need to do the job adequately.

Likes SammyS
kuruman said:
When I was in charge of introductory physics lab at my University we had two experiments in "modern physics" in which students used gratings. The first week they used the spectrum of hydrogen to determine the Rydberg constant. The second week they used the measured wavelengths from the previous week in a photoelectric experiment to determine ##h/e.## They got decent results.

The gratings they used were mounted on cardboard slides (I don't remember the spacing). Through Amazon.com you can get these for $2.99 ea., these for $9.90 ea. and these for $43.30 ea.

Edmund Scientific has pricier gratings in the $100-200 range that might not be prohibitively expensive for your teacher and you. The adage "you get what you pay for" is almost always the case but, of course, what you should get is what you need to do the job adequately.
I observed that dichroic mirrors and their plastic pearlescent tape imitations become like a metallic silver mirror in appearance when irradiated only with the wavelength they reflect. When irradiated with the wavelength they transmit they appear completely transparent like window glass, or at least translucent. So do crystals like moonstone or labradorite which also use thin-film interference in multiple layers. Although labradorite is gray so it does not become transparent under transmitted light.
For example, this is a iridescent Christmas tree star decoration which reflects yellow and transmits blue:

Attachments

• IMG_20240407_080114.jpg
    IMG_20240407_080114.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 7
Holographic paper from decor stores is usually a simple imitation of the holographic effect and does not have true holographic properties like professional diffraction gratings. Mother-of-pearl decorative tape changes color at different angles due to the interference of light on the surface, while dichroic mirrors have a special coating that transmits or reflects certain colors of light. Although both phenomena are based on the interference of light, they use different principles of physics and have different properties.

9129aNgsehL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (1).jpg

"The holographic effects are created by metalizing the surface with a thin layer of shiny silver aluminum. The holographic patterns are embossed into the aluminum surface, which forms millions of pixels in microscopic grooves and valleys. This embossed surface diffracts the light into many colors and reflects the light."

Source:
https://www.novavisioninc.com/pages/learn_more_holographic_paper.html
how-interference-pigments-work.jpg

Interference Pearls are made by mica coated with titanium dioxide. When you look at them straight on they appear more whitish. When viewed at an angles you see glorious irridescent colors. The presence of the difference colors is due to the thickness of the titanium dioxide coating. By varying the coatings you get all the wonderful colors of the rainbow.

Important things to know when working with interference pigments. (other tradenames may be "hilites" or,"intervals")

They are very translucent.

The particular color effect is angle dependent.

The Strongest color effect is with a thin application over a dark valued color, such as black.

Source:

https://justpigments.com/collections/interference-mica-powder

Likes Gleb1964
AlexisBlackwell said:
Holographic paper from decor stores is usually a simple imitation of the holographic effect and does not have true holographic properties like professional diffraction gratings. Mother-of-pearl decorative tape changes color at different angles due to the interference of light on the surface, while dichroic mirrors have a special coating that transmits or reflects certain colors of light. Although both phenomena are based on the interference of light, they use different principles of physics and have different properties.
OK some pearlescent tapes I am using have a thin layer on the surface like soap bubbles that varies in thickness
il_570xN.2497154289_pfso.jpg

but other ones I am using have many layers of interference pigment (mica powder coated with titanium dioxide) inside the plastic matrix so they block yellow light or green light and transmit their complementary colors.

images (3).jpeg

Can you see the difference?

Last edited:
Grating based holographic images and patterns are widely used in
packaging to catch the eye of the consumer. The characteristic
rainbow-like reflection of light from holographic papers can be
used either by itself or with a print to create interesting
contrasts and optical effects. Holographic patterns are also used
for purposes of authentication to protect products and documents
from counterfeiting.

A grating based holographic paper consists of separate areas of
reflective diffraction gratings, which disperse polychromatic
light into its constituent monochromatic components depending on both illumination and observation angles, and the physical
structure of the grating. Due to the angle-dependent nature of the
holographic patterns, conventional measurement methods for paper products cannot be used"

Source:
"Method for the Characterisation of Grating Based0Holographic Paper", Max Karlsson, Uppsala Universitet

Last edited:
My final guess is that the Chinese manufacturers include these pigments to achieve either 2D holographic or pearlescent effect. I am not sure but they could be mixed with molten plastic with a rotating drum so that they disperse evenly in the molten plastic,which is then extruded into foils or shaped using molds. This is just a guess I am not sure. What do you think?

02e7af36-e739-4bad-8ff3-162c70a48076.5eafa23de8a24618c7185c1f0cba6b31.jpeg

images (4).jpeg
50g-Rainbow-Interference-Pigment-Pearl-Mica-Powder-Chameleon-Ghost-Pigment-For-Resin-Craft-Cos...jpg

5f1ab00955273.jpg

il_570xN.2578523240_sykx.jpg

images (5).jpeg
plastic-extrusion-line.jpg

Last edited:
OK, the tapes are iridescent and based on thin film interference. The pearlescent plastic with mica flakes has a more sparkly diffuse reflection like nacre.
images (6).jpeg

S3ec8b543833f403eaffbacb82608688cj.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.png

Here is what gives iridescent sequins their iridescence. I melted it, seems to be a thin film of transparent plastic.

Before melting, sequins are iridescent
2024-04-28 16.51.21.jpg

After melting, the sequin loses its iridescence and looks like a ball of translucent plastic:
IMG_20240428_164929.jpg

There is no mica flakes in it coated with titanium dioxide, else it would still be iridescent because these flakes are inorganic and do not melt.

How do you explain this?

"
  • Made with PET material, the colour film is made by the superposition of hundreds of layers of polyester film by co-extrusion technology.
"

https://resinsupplies.co.za/product/holographic-iridescent-self-adhesive-sheets-2-pack/

https://plasticfilmchina.en.made-in...idescent-Film-for-Printing-and-Packaging.html

What does it mean co-extrusion? And how can they superpose hundreds of layers of the same material - PET to achieve iridescence? I thought two materials with different refractive indices were needed.

Last edited:
"
Controlling light waves as they pass through or bounce off of hundreds or thousands of layer interfaces is defined by the refractive index of the adjacent polymers. The larger the difference in refractive indices of adjacent polymer layers, the brighter the reflection off their interface. The reflection is also brighter with more layers in the stack.

Decorative films alternate layers of two polymers, typically a polyester like PET with a refractive index of 1.8 and an acrylic like PMMA with a refractive index of 1.5. The reflected-color effect varies as the viewing angle onto the film changes.

Birefringence is caused by the difference in refractive index between polymers at different viewing angles. Birefringent polymer pairs in microlayer films typically leak light when they are tilted and reflect only within a specific range of viewing angles. From all other angles, the interface appears transparent.

3M discovered that different layer thicknesses in a stack could create highly sophisticated patterns of reflections, capable of passing some waves of light through while stopping other wavelengths, and creating structures that reflect equally well from any viewing angle."
https://www.ptonline.com/articles/microlayer-films-new-uses-for-hundreds-of-layers