Difference between the A conjugate and A dagger

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion over the difference between the complex conjugate and dagger operations on a real and unitary matrix. The person is seeking clarification and recommendations for further reading on the topic. The difference between the two operations is explained, with emphasis on how the dagger is the complex conjugate of the transpose. There is also a question about the matrix's reality and clarification is requested on the terminology used in the paper.
Hazzattack
Hi guys, getting a little confused whilst looking through a paper. I was hoping someone could clear this up for me quickly;

If we have a matrix denoted by the following, which is both real and unitary;

Amn

then is the following true (due to it being real, the conjugate just produces the same thing);

Amn* = Amn

However, if we dagger A, the indices change like the following;

Amn+ = Anm

I think I'm getting confused because i expected both the conjugate and the dagger to do the same thing...

I am trying to get to grips with the paper, but some of the summation notation to represent matrices is confusing me. Any good reads someone could recommend to help with this would be great. Otherwise confirmation of what I've previously said would be amazing.

thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the above checks out, could someone please elaborate on the difference between these two things? thanks.

Different people adopt different notation, but if I were writing, then for any matrix [itex]A[/itex], both notations [tex]A^*=A^\dagger[/tex] would refer to the conjugate transpose. That is, [itex]a^*_{ij}=a^\dagger_{ij}=\overline{a_{ji}}[/itex].

Hazzattack said:
i expected both the conjugate and the dagger to do the same thing...

The complex conjugate and dagger do not do the same thing.

The complex conjugate keeps the real part of a number the same, and negates the imaginary part. If the number has only a real part, with no imaginary part, then the complex conjugate is the same as the original.

The transpose of a matrix is the matrix reflected about it’s main diagonal axis (or you could say that you flip the rows with the columns which is the same thing).

The dagger is the complex conjugate of the transpose. In other words, the matrix is conjugated and transposed, not just conjugated.

Likes kia
Are you sure the matrix is real? Usually if the matrix is real, people say "Orthogonal" instead of "Unitary" and instead of using a star, they use either a T or a dagger (T is to denote transpose.) Does the paper explicitly say that the matrix is real?

Related to Difference between the A conjugate and A dagger

1. What is the difference between the A conjugate and A dagger?

The A conjugate is the complex conjugate of the matrix A, which means that the imaginary components of each element are flipped in sign. A dagger, or Hermitian conjugate, is the transpose of the complex conjugate of A. In other words, A dagger is the complex conjugate of the transpose of A.

2. Why are A conjugate and A dagger important in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, A conjugate and A dagger are important because they represent the adjoint operator of a quantum mechanical operator. This allows us to calculate important values such as the expectation value of an observable.

3. How do you calculate the A conjugate and A dagger of a matrix?

The A conjugate of a matrix A is found by taking the complex conjugate of each element in A. To find A dagger, take the transpose of A and then take the complex conjugate of each element.

4. What are the properties of A conjugate and A dagger?

The properties of A conjugate and A dagger include being linear and Hermitian. This means that they obey the laws of superposition and have real eigenvalues.

5. Are A conjugate and A dagger the same for any matrix?

No, A conjugate and A dagger are not necessarily the same for every matrix. They are only equal for matrices that are Hermitian, which means that they are equal to their own conjugate transpose. For non-Hermitian matrices, A conjugate and A dagger will be different.