Different Versions of a Plane in R^3 (The Plane, The Plane)

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the conversation discusses different ways of describing a plane in ##R^3##, including writing it in the form ##ax+by+cz=d## and giving a basis for the plane. There is a method for converting between these two versions using Gaussian elimination and a cross-product. The cross-product is used to find a vector orthogonal to the basis vectors, and the point on the plane is used to determine the constant ##d## in the first equation. However, the conversation also mentions that this method is for a rotating system of planes, where the coordinate system rotates about the XY-plane, and the vectors ##\partial/\partial z##, ##\partial/\partial r##, and ##\partial/\partial \theta##
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Different "Versions" of a Plane in R^3 (The Plane!, The Plane!)

Hi, All:

The two most common expressions , AFAIK, for describing a plane in ## R^3 ## are:

i) Writing the plane in the form : ax+by+cz=d

ii) Giving a basis {v1, v2} for the plane.

I know how to produce a basis to go from version i) to version ii) -- basically by using techniques of Gaussian elimination . I know of a method to produce a plane from a pair of basis elements, but I can't see how it works ; we do a cross-product of the basis vectors. I thought this cross-product would just produce a vector normal to the given {v1 , v2} , but somehow it generates an equation of the type in i). Does anyone understand why/how this formula works, or know some other nice way to go from version ii), i.e., from a basis, to the form in i)?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, what you did is not completely accurate. In (ii), you should have a basis and a point on the plane.

Anyway, for your question. You should know that the first equation can be written as

[tex](a,b,c)\cdot (x,y,z) = d[/tex]

Now, to find a basis for the plane, you need to find two linearly independent points on the plane going through the origin and parallel to the original plane. This yields the equation

[tex](a,b,c)\cdot (x,y,z) = 0[/tex]

So, if you are given a basis, then you are given two points whose dot product with ##(a,b,c)## is ##0##. So it is perpendicular to ##(a,b,c)##. To find a vector orthogonal to the basis vectors is usually done with the cross product. So the cross product gives one possibility of ##(a,b,c)##. To determine ##d##, you need to use the point on the plane.

Ah, yeah, sorry I forgot to include the most important part; clearly, like you said, the method for obtaining a basis from the equation of the plane can be reversed to get the equation of the plane from a pair of basis vectors; that I get. It comes down to going from affine space to vector space (going thru the origin or not) and back.

BUT**I forgot to say that I'm dealing here with a rotating system of planes (a.k.a, moving frame), i.e., a "plane distribution" , i.e., an assignment of planes at each point --at each tangent space, actually--in coordinates $$ (r, \theta, z)$$ and this coordinate system rotates about the XY-plane, so that, at a fixed point $$(x_0,y_0,z_0)$$:

1)The vector $$\partial /\partial z $$ : has a fixed direction pointing upwards.

2)The vector $$\partial /\partial r $$ : is in the direction of the line from $$(0,0,z_0) $$ to $$(x_0,y_0,z_0)$$, i.e., $$ \partial /\partial r $$ is in the plane $$z=z_0$$.

3)The vector $$ \partial/ \partial \theta $$ is in the $$z=z_0 $$ -plane also, and it is perpendicular to

$$ \partial / \partial r $$ in that plane.

So we have some moving frames here, which I think changes the layout.

Last edited:

Related to Different Versions of a Plane in R^3 (The Plane, The Plane)

1. What is a plane in R^3?

A plane in R^3, also known as a two-dimensional plane, is a flat surface that extends infinitely in all directions and is defined by three non-collinear points or a point and its normal vector. It is a fundamental concept in three-dimensional geometry and is often used in various fields, including mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. How many different versions of a plane are there in R^3?

There are infinitely many different versions of a plane in R^3. This is because a plane can be defined by any three non-collinear points, and there are an infinite number of possible combinations of three points in three-dimensional space.

3. How do different versions of a plane differ from each other?

Different versions of a plane in R^3 can differ in their orientation, position, and size. This is because changing the position or orientation of any of the defining points can result in a different plane. Additionally, the size of the plane can vary depending on the distance between the defining points.

4. Can different versions of a plane intersect?

Yes, different versions of a plane can intersect. If two planes have the same orientation and are not parallel, they will intersect in a line. If the planes have different orientations, they can intersect in a point or a line, depending on the relative positions of the planes.

5. How are different versions of a plane represented mathematically?

In mathematics, different versions of a plane in R^3 can be represented using various methods. One common way is by using the equation of a plane, which is in the form ax + by + cz = d, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, and d is a constant. Another way is by using vector notation, where a plane is defined by a point on the plane and a normal vector perpendicular to the plane.