Differential Equation formulation (and execution in matlab) problem

In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation and executing it in MATLAB using data from an external Excel spreadsheet. The equation is dx/dt=I(S*A*x) and the variables are all stored in separate columns in the spreadsheet. The values for 'I' are constant while 'S' and 'A' vary and are taken every 30 minutes over a period of 48 hours. The person is having difficulties in formulating the equation to yield sensible results in MATLAB and is seeking suggestions, including using the csvread function to import the data.
pottersj
Hello,

I am trying to solve an equation and then execute it in matlab. It is dx/dt=I(S*A*x). so I am trying to see the evolution of x with time.

The variables are all in an excel spreadsheet in different columns and the name of the columns are the name of the variables.

'I' is in an excel column of about 10000k different volumes which are the number of n i would need for the model to output. their values are constant

but S and A vary as they are pressure and temperature readings taken every 30 mins over 48 hrs in total. So i have 96 x 2 reading in total for S and A in my excel spreadsheet.

These variables will come from an external excel spreadsheet but I am having difficulties in formulating this diff equation so that it would yield sensible results in mat lab.

Any ideas?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I have used that but the import doesn't seem to be a problem is more the resolution that seems to be.

Related to Differential Equation formulation (and execution in matlab) problem

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that describes how a quantity changes over time, based on its current value and the rate at which it is changing. It involves derivatives, which represent the rate of change of the quantity.

2. How is a differential equation formulated?

A differential equation is typically formulated in terms of an unknown function and its derivatives. The equation may also include known functions and constants.

3. What is the purpose of using Matlab for solving differential equations?

Matlab is a powerful software tool that allows for efficient and accurate solving of differential equations. It has built-in functions and algorithms specifically designed for solving these types of equations, making it a useful tool for scientists and engineers.

4. Can Matlab solve all types of differential equations?

No, Matlab may not be able to solve all types of differential equations. It is best suited for solving linear and non-linear ordinary differential equations, but it may not be as effective for partial differential equations or equations with complex boundary conditions.

5. What are some common methods for solving differential equations in Matlab?

Some common methods for solving differential equations in Matlab include the Euler method, the Runge-Kutta method, and the finite difference method. These methods use different techniques to approximate the solution to a differential equation.