Differential Equations - Video Lectures

In summary, the conversation discussed the availability of video lectures for an introductory course in differential equations. The suggestion was made to read a standard book, as even the highly acclaimed MIT video lectures are not as effective as a good book. The analogy of comparing a book to a movie was used to illustrate this point. The conversation also mentioned the benefits of using extra notes and videos as a supplement to reading the textbook.
sunilkamadolli
Hello Everyone,
I am aware that there are couple other posts like this on Video Lectures. But I was wondering if anyone of you know where I can find video lectures for an introductory course in differential equations. If not, then non-video lecture notes following the book I am using (Differential Equations By Dennis G. Zill) will also suffice.

I know about the MIT opencourseware and I have been following it.Are there any other ones? Please let me know. Thank you for your time. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you already have one good web source, may I recommend you read a standard book.

Even MIT video lectures stink compared to a good book.

I personally think that Gilbert Strangs MIT lectures on linear algebra are incredibly boring and tiresome and simple minded compared to any decent written treatment. I admit I have been able to sit through only a few minutes of his highly acclaimed lectures, but I could not stand any more.

This reminds me of when I read Shane as second grader, and then saw the movie. the movie was pitiful compared to the mental images created while reading the book. Yeah, Jack Palance was creepy, and the little kid was moving at the end, but those fake Hollywood bar room brawls were nothing compared to the description of the martial arts skill of Shane in the book.

In the book Shane dodged the bottle Chris threw at him in mid air, then reached over and yanked Chris out of his chair, slapped him across the face sharply, and set him back down. When Chris foolishly lunged at him, he reluctantly yanked his arm out straight and broke it, and set him down as gently as possible, with the concern of a superior elder combatant.

And at the end, facing Wilson, Shane's movie line "He said you were a low down yankee liar", is just stupid compared to the coldly efficient "What you want and what you'll get are two different things - your killing days are over" from the book.

Get the point? read the book.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you and but I do read the book. In fact what I have noticed is, when you first read the textbook and then once you listen to the teacher's lectures, you comprehend the material well. So I think of these extra notes/videos as a supplement rather than a replacement. Thanks though.

well ok, but what did you think of my analogy?

"What you want and what you'll get are two different things - your killing days are over"
hahaha. your analogy is a good way to put it...you are right, the mental pictures are powerful.

Related to Differential Equations - Video Lectures

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that involve an unknown function and its derivatives. They are used to model various physical phenomena and are an essential tool in many fields of science and engineering.

2. How are differential equations solved?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, depending on the type and complexity of the equation. Some common methods include separation of variables, using integrating factors, and using series solutions.

3. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have countless applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. They are used to model and analyze phenomena such as population growth, heat transfer, electrical circuits, and fluid dynamics.

4. Are there any real-world examples of differential equations?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of differential equations. For instance, Newton's second law of motion can be represented by a differential equation, as can the growth of bacteria in a petri dish and the spread of diseases in a population.

5. What is the importance of studying differential equations?

Studying differential equations is essential for understanding and analyzing many different physical and natural phenomena. They are also a fundamental tool in many branches of science and engineering, making them crucial for advancements in technology and innovation.