Difficulty - Signals and Systems

In summary: If energy is added to the system at a frequency that does not match its natural oscillation pattern, it will not be continually absorbed over time. However, if the energy is added at the characteristic mode of the system, it will be continually absorbed and the system's amplitude will increase. This statement may not apply if there is an energy waster in the system, but the overall point is that energy added at the characteristic mode will be absorbed by the system. Fleem provides a helpful example of pushing someone on a swing to illustrate this concept.
salil87
Hi
In my notes I came across the following sentences:-
Any signal consisting of the system's characteristic mode is sustained by the system on its own. The system offers no obstacle to this signal.
Not getting what it means. Please, a little help needed. :-)

Thanks
salil

Engineering news on Phys.org
A characteristic mode is simply a natural oscillation pattern the system possesses. If you add energy to a system which is NOT in one of the system's natural oscillation patterns, then that energy will not be continually absorbed over time. For example, if you are pushing someone on a swing and the frequency you are pushing does not match the natural frequency of the swing, then you won't make any notable progress getting the swing going. But if you add energy at the 'characteristic mode' of the swing (the right spectrum of frequencies), then it will be continually absorbed causing the swing amplitude to increase. If there is an energy waster (like an electrical resistor, brake, wind resistance, etc.) in the system then I'm not sure I'd use the word "sustained" as they do in the statement, but I think the general point is that that energy will be absorbed by the system.

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, out of context. Can you give a longer quote? Is the quote a computer translation from a different language?

Fleem's answer might be correct, or it might not.

Sorry for the short Description. Guess it happens when I'm in tension. :-) But Thanks a lot Fleem ... your explanation helped a lot. Your Swing example rocks. Sometimes I think of such simple things in such complicated ways. Thanks a lot again. :-)
Thanks
Salil

Related to Difficulty - Signals and Systems

1. What is the purpose of studying difficulty in signals and systems?

The study of difficulty in signals and systems allows us to understand the complexity and limitations of different types of signals and systems. It helps us to design and analyze systems that can handle difficult signals and effectively process them for various applications.

2. What are the main factors that contribute to difficulty in signals and systems?

There are several factors that can make signals and systems difficult to analyze and process, including noise, nonlinearity, time-varying behavior, and high dimensionality. These factors can make it challenging to accurately extract information from signals and design effective systems.

3. How can we measure the difficulty of a signal or system?

Difficulty can be measured using various metrics such as signal-to-noise ratio, bandwidth, and complexity. These metrics can help us understand the level of difficulty and the type of challenges that a signal or system may present.

4. Can difficulty in signals and systems be overcome?

Yes, difficulty in signals and systems can be overcome through various techniques such as signal processing algorithms, system design optimization, and noise reduction methods. However, it is important to note that some signals and systems may have inherent difficulty that cannot be completely eliminated.

5. How does difficulty in signals and systems impact real-world applications?

The difficulty in signals and systems can greatly impact the performance and reliability of real-world applications, such as communication systems, medical devices, and control systems. It is important to understand and address difficulty in order to ensure the successful operation of these applications.