Dilution Factors, Determining Molarity

In summary, a scientist prepares 100 mL of an iron (III) nitrate solution by weighing out 4.8372 grams of the solid iron (III) nitrate and dissolving it in deionized water using a 100 mL volumetric flask. She then pipettes 5 mL of that solution into a 20 mL volumetric flask and fills it to the mark, then dilutes the resulting solution by a factor of 100. The final concentrations of Fe3+ and NO3- in the solution will be different because of the dilution step.
Spartan Erik

Homework Statement

"A scientist prepares 100 mL of an iron (III) nitrate solution by weighing out 4.8372 grams of the solid iron (III) nitrate and dissolving it in deionized water using a 100 mL volumetric flask. She then pipettes 5 mL of that solution into a 20 mL volumetric flask and fills it to the mark, then dilutes the resulting solution by a factor of 100. What are the molarities of Fe3+ (aq) and NO3- (aq) in the final solution? Show your work."

Homework Equations

Molarity = moles / liter
M1V1 = M2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe there are two ways to solve this (correct me if I'm wrong)

1. Raw calculation:
Well it starts off with 100 mL of deionized water added to 4.8372g of Fe(NO3)3. That solution will be 0.048372g Fe(NO3)3 / mL of H2O. She takes 5 mL of that solution (0.048372g/mL x 5 mL = 0.012093 g of Fe(NO3)3), and then dilutes it by a factor of 100. A dilution factor of 100 is the same as 99 mL of H2O and 1 mL of solution correct?

Not sure how I would apply the dilution factor .. would it just be 0.012093g of Fe(NO3)3 / 99 mL H2O?

2. I imagine M1V1 = M2V2 could provide a shortcut..

Physics news on Phys.org
Spartan Erik said:
A dilution factor of 100 is the same as 99 mL of H2O and 1 mL of solution correct?

Yes.

Not sure how I would apply the dilution factor .. would it just be 0.012093g of Fe(NO3)3 / 99 mL H2O?

Why 99 mL? What is volume after mixing 99+1?

And don't forget to convert it to molarity now.

2. I imagine M1V1 = M2V2 could provide a shortcut..

Not a shortcut - exactly the same amount of work. One part is molarity calculation (just done at the beginning), the other - calculation of all dilution steps.

Don't forget final concentrations of Fe3+ and NO3- will be different.

Oh so to account for total volume it must be 0.012093g of Fe(NO3)3 / 100 mL H2O?

So therefore, 0.00012093g of Fe(NO3)3/mL of H2O, which is the same as 0.12093g of Fe(NO3)3/L of H2O

Molar mass of Fe(NO3)3 is.. 241.8602 g/mol, so:

0.12093g Fe(NO3)3 / L x 1 mol / 241.8602g = 0.0004999 mol / L

So the Fe(NO3)3 will be 0.0004999M. Molarity of Fe will be 0.0004999M, and the molarity of NO3 will be 0.0004999M x 3 I believe since there are three NO3's for one Fe.

Informing me of any mistakes along this pathway would be greatly appreciated :)

I got 241.8597 for molar mass, which leads to 5.000 instead of 4.999. Otherwise looks OK.

Thanks!

Related to Dilution Factors, Determining Molarity

What is a dilution factor and how is it calculated?

A dilution factor is a mathematical representation of the decrease in concentration of a substance when it is mixed with a solvent. It is calculated by dividing the final volume by the initial volume.

How is molarity determined?

Molarity is determined by dividing the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters. This calculation gives the concentration of the solute in moles per liter of solution.

Why is it important to know the dilution factor when determining molarity?

The dilution factor is necessary in order to accurately calculate the molarity of a solution. Without knowing the dilution factor, the concentration of the solute in the solution cannot be accurately determined.

What is the equation for determining molarity?

The equation for molarity is M = n/V, where M represents molarity, n represents the number of moles of solute, and V represents the volume of the solution in liters.

How does diluting a solution affect its molarity?

Diluting a solution decreases its molarity. This is because the same amount of solute is now spread out over a larger volume of solution, resulting in a lower concentration of the solute.