Dimensionless Riccati Equation

• Thread starter fresh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to obtain a dimensionless ODE and seeking help. They mention trying to find a particular solution but have not been successful. The other person suggests making a substitution of variables and choosing appropriate constants to put the new DE in the required form.
fresh
Been working on this problem for an hour now.

Rescale

(dh/dt) = s - a*p*g*(h + (h^2)/R)

to obtain the dimensionless ODE

y' = a - y - y^2

It seems that the differential equation involving dh/dt is a ricatti equation and I tried finding a particular solution but have had no luck. Any help is welcomed.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you having difficulty obtaining the dimensionless equation or in solving it? In either case, what have you done so far?

I am having difficulty with the dimensionless part. I am really not sure what to do. I would think that you would need to make a substitution but i am not sure what. I just need a push in the right direction since I want to solve it myself.

There are several ways to approach it. Here's one: Let h = Ay and t = Bx with constants A and B. y and x will be your new variables. Substitute into the DE then choose A and B to put the new DE into the required form.

Related to Dimensionless Riccati Equation

1. What is a dimensionless ODE?

A dimensionless ODE is a type of ordinary differential equation (ODE) that has been converted into a form where all of the variables and parameters are unitless. This means that the equation can be applied universally, without having to account for specific units of measurement. Dimensionless ODEs are often used in mathematical modeling and scientific research.

2. Why is it important to obtain the dimensionless form of an ODE?

Obtaining the dimensionless form of an ODE is important because it allows for easier comparison and analysis of different systems. By removing the influence of specific units, the dimensionless form makes it possible to generalize the equation and apply it to a wider range of scenarios. This can also help to identify patterns and relationships that would not be apparent in the dimensional form.

3. How do you obtain the dimensionless form of an ODE?

The process of obtaining the dimensionless form of an ODE involves first identifying all of the variables and parameters in the equation and assigning them with appropriate units. Then, using a technique called scaling, the units are canceled out to create a unitless equation. This can be achieved through various mathematical operations, such as dividing by a characteristic length, time, or velocity.

4. What are the benefits of using dimensionless ODEs in scientific research?

There are several benefits to using dimensionless ODEs in scientific research. First, they allow for easier comparison and analysis of different systems, as mentioned earlier. They also make it possible to generalize the equation and apply it to a wider range of scenarios, without having to account for specific units. Additionally, dimensionless ODEs can help to simplify complex equations, making them more computationally efficient and easier to solve.

5. Are there any limitations to using dimensionless ODEs?

While dimensionless ODEs have many benefits, there are also some limitations to consider. One limitation is that the process of obtaining the dimensionless form can be time-consuming and require advanced mathematical knowledge. Additionally, the simplification of the equation may lead to a loss of important information or accuracy. It is important to carefully consider the trade-offs when deciding whether to use a dimensionless ODE in scientific research.