Discrete choice probability equation help (in pre-algebraic terms please)?

In summary, the equation for discrete choice probability involves P, which represents the probability of a person choosing a specific alternative, and is determined by the attributes of the alternatives, the characteristics of the person, and a set of parameters that relate variables to probabilities. The probability distribution function G, such as normal or logistic, is used to calculate this probability.
moonman239
As it says in the title, will anyone please give me the equation (in pre-algebraic terms) for discrete choice probability? I can see that the equation is P = Prob( Person n chooses Alternative i ) = G(xni, xnj(forall j inequal to i), sn, β),

where

xni is a vector of attributes of alternative i faced by person n,

"forall j inequal to i" is a vector of attributes of the other alternatives (other than i) faced by person n,

sn is a vector of characteristics of person n, and

β is a set of parameters that relate variables to probabilities, which are estimated statistically.

(I'm totally copying this off Wikipedia.) I'm baffled. What is G()?

Physics news on Phys.org
G is a probability distribution function such as normal or logistic. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_choice#Consumer_Utility for an example from consumer utility. If [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is normally distributed, so is [itex]\epsilon_{nj}-\epsilon_{ni}[/itex] and therefore

[tex]P_{ni}=Prob\left\{\epsilon_{nj}-\epsilon_{ni} < \beta z_{ni}-\beta z_{nj}\right\} = G\left(\beta z_{ni}-\beta z_{nj}\right)[/tex]

where G is the normal c.d.f.

Related to Discrete choice probability equation help (in pre-algebraic terms please)?

1. What is a discrete choice probability equation?

A discrete choice probability equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the likelihood of choosing a specific option among a set of discrete choices. It takes into account various factors such as the number of options, their respective probabilities, and the decision-maker's preferences.

2. How is a discrete choice probability equation different from a regular probability equation?

A discrete choice probability equation is specific to situations where there are a limited number of options to choose from, while a regular probability equation can be used for continuous variables. In addition, a discrete choice probability equation takes into account the decision-maker's preferences, whereas a regular probability equation only considers the probability of events occurring.

3. What is the importance of using a discrete choice probability equation?

Using a discrete choice probability equation allows for a more accurate prediction of decision-making behavior in situations where there are a limited number of options. It can also help identify the most preferred option among the choices available.

4. Can you provide an example of a discrete choice probability equation?

One example of a discrete choice probability equation is the multinomial logit model, which is commonly used in economics and marketing research. This equation calculates the probability of choosing a specific option out of a set of options, based on the decision-maker's preferences and the characteristics of the options.

5. How do I solve a discrete choice probability equation?

The process of solving a discrete choice probability equation involves identifying the relevant factors, such as the number of options, their probabilities, and the decision-maker's preferences. These factors are then plugged into the equation to calculate the probability of choosing a specific option. The equation can be solved using basic algebraic operations or with the help of statistical software.